[NatureNS] Buff-breasted Sandpiper-Big I.

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 16:38:13 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_IM6TU8NfPKa2XtdTz9iOIg)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
I discovered and later photographed a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER at Big I., Pictou Co. about midday, Aug. 21. It was located at the far end of the bar at Savage Pt. on the west end of the island. It was keeping to dry sand and near the dune grass. It would flush from that area and move out to the sandbar if someone walked around the point but after a short period it would fly back to the point where it was not visible from the road. I was later able to get Karen and Linc. MacLeod and a birder from Oregon on to the bird.

A bird of the year PIPING PLOVER was on the outer beach, midway along the main causeway to the island. This may have been a lingering member of the family rased on Big I. this year much to the great efforts of the guardianship of the MacLeods who made sure all who used the beach this summer were aware of the presence of the young plover chicks.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_IM6TU8NfPKa2XtdTz9iOIg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18939">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I discovered and later photographed&nbsp;a
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER&nbsp;at Big I., Pictou Co.&nbsp;about midday, Aug. 21.
It was located at the far end of the bar at&nbsp;Savage Pt. on the west end of
the island. It was keeping to dry sand and near the dune grass. It would flush
from that area and move out to the sandbar if&nbsp;someone walked around the
point&nbsp;but after a short period it would fly back to the point where it was
not visible from the road. I was later able to get Karen and Linc. MacLeod and a
birder from Oregon on to the bird.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A bird of the year PIPING PLOVER&nbsp;was on the
outer beach, midway along the main causeway to the island. This may have been a
lingering member of the family rased on Big I. this year much to the
great&nbsp;efforts of the guardianship of the MacLeods who made sure all who
used the beach this summer were aware of the presence of the young plover
chicks. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_IM6TU8NfPKa2XtdTz9iOIg)--