[NatureNS] possible hybrid chickadees

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 08:59:29 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016e64c19ced6f5f7048e68449f

All,

On about the 30th of May, two biologists from the U of Lethbridge were at my
home pursuing their work on woodpecker genetics. During that time, they
caught a chickadee which I had told them about, a possible
Boreal/Black-capped hybrid. I had reported on this around that time, and
posted a not-so-good picture.

Although hybridization of these two species is known, it does not appear to
be common. The biologists have not yet done the blood work to confirm the
hybridization, but they have sent me the better photographs. I have posted
them at: http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/chickadees/ I've left the files
quite large, so the most detail can be seen; these are not suitable for
dial-up folks. If anyone  wants smaller versions, let me know.

Comments?
Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e64c19ced6f5f7048e68449f

 of Lethbridge were at my home pursuing their work on woodpecker genetics. =
During that time, they caught a chickadee which I had told them about, a po=
ssible Boreal/Black-capped hybrid. I had reported on this around that time,=
 and posted a not-so-good picture.</div>

 it does not appear to be common. The biologists have not yet done the bloo=
d work to confirm the hybridization, but they have sent me the better photo=
graphs. I have posted them at:=A0<a href=3D"http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/ph=
otos/chickadees/">http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/chickadees/</a>=A0I&#=
39;ve left the files quite large, so the most detail can be seen; these are=
 not suitable for dial-up folks. If anyone =A0wants smaller versions, let m=
e know.</div>

unty, NS.<br>

--0016e64c19ced6f5f7048e68449f--