[NatureNS] Re: Possible Black Oystercatchers: Debert

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:26:19 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_301955812==.ALT

At 02:57 PM 26/08/2010, Gayle wrote:
>Received an email from friends of mine, that recently heard, what
>they believe to be, numerous Black Oystercatchers at the Debert
>Beach. They sent to me, also, an audio example, also, so will gladly
>forward it to anyone that might be interested.

I thought I'd clarify the situation.   The observers, Peter May and
Kim Forster, heard something calling at dusk along the Debert Beach
at low tide, from the area where the salt marsh grass meets Fundy
mud.  They didn't see what was calling (though presumed it was a
bird), and were not able to make a sound recording.   Upon searching
the internet for a similar call they settled upon Black Oystercatcher
as the bird with the call most similar to what they heard.  Here is
the web page with the call:

http://tinyurl.com/2dsa4hs

And that is where the mystery rests.  They have not heard the call
again, but are open to ideas.

Cheers,

Blake

Blake Maybank
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
902-852-2077

Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
http://nsbs.chebucto.org

Organiser, Maritimes Nature Travel Club
http://tinyurl.com/naturetravel

author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns
Downloadable Nova Scotia Maps for inside front and back covers:
http://tinyurl.com/mr627d

White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada
--=====================_301955812==.ALT

At 02:57 PM 26/08/2010, Gayle wrote:<br>
of mine, that recently heard, what they believe to be, numerous Black
Oystercatchers at the Debert Beach. They sent to me, also, an audio
example, also, so will gladly forward it to anyone that might be
interested.</blockquote><br>
I thought I'd clarify the situation.&nbsp;&nbsp; The observers, Peter May
and Kim Forster, heard something calling at dusk along the Debert Beach
at low tide, from the area where the salt marsh grass meets Fundy
mud.&nbsp; They didn't see what was calling (though presumed it was a
bird), and were not able to make a sound recording.&nbsp;&nbsp; Upon
searching the internet for a similar call they settled upon Black
Oystercatcher as the bird with the call most similar to what they
heard.&nbsp; Here is the web page with the call:<br><br>
<b><a href="http://tinyurl.com/2dsa4hs" eudora="autourl">
And that is where the mystery rests.&nbsp; They have not heard the call
again, but are open to ideas.<br><br>
Cheers,<br><br>
Blake<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Blake Maybank<br>
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca<br>
902-852-2077<br><br>
Editor, &quot;Nova Scotia Birds&quot;<br>
http://nsbs.chebucto.org<br><br>
</a>Organiser, Maritimes Nature Travel Club<br>
author, &quot;Birding Sites of Nova Scotia&quot;<br>
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns<br>
covers:<br>
White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada </body>