[NatureNS] Re: Possible Black Oystercatchers: Debert

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:35:26 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>

--0016363ba3e2f75418048ed0b49b

Hi,

Needless to say I was intrigued by this post, as after a number of tries, I
was able to finally track down Black Oystercatchers in Klootchman Park, West
Vancouver, when I was there a number of years ago.  This species is rare
even in its normal habitat of rocky shores on the far west coast, and
migrates to rocky shores farther south on the far west coast. While nothing
is impossible, it seems pretty unlikely that a flock would show up on Debert
Beach! Indeed, I'd be surprised if there were any records east of the
Rockies. I checked the web site listed here, but couldn't find an audio file
to listen to. However, there are audio files on Bird of North America Online
(need a subscription), and on the Iphone app Ibird Pro, and I found one here
- http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/999/overview/Black_Oystercatcher.aspx ,
that can be listened to.

To me, if it's a bird, the nearest would be Whimbrel, or possibly a number
of different shorebirds.

I suppose another remote possibility would be Eurasian oystercatchers, which
have a high pitched short whistle, and I believe there are 1 or 2 records as
vagrants for Eastern N.America, or American oystercatchers, of which a few
pairs are regular on CSI, and a recent report from Canso.

A mystery indeed!

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016363ba3e2f75418048ed0b49b

Hi,<br><br>Needless to say I was intrigued by this post, as after a number =
of tries, I was able to finally track down Black Oystercatchers in Klootchm=
an Park, West Vancouver, when I was there a number of years ago.=A0 This sp=
ecies is rare even in its normal habitat of rocky shores on the far west co=
ast, and migrates to rocky shores farther south on the far west coast. Whil=
e nothing is impossible, it seems pretty unlikely that a flock would show u=
p on Debert Beach! Indeed, I&#39;d be surprised if there were any records e=
ast of the Rockies. I checked the web site listed here, but couldn&#39;t fi=
nd an audio file to listen to. However, there are audio files on Bird of No=
rth America Online (need a subscription), and on the Iphone app Ibird Pro, =
and I found one here - <a href=3D"http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/999/over=
view/Black_Oystercatcher.aspx">http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/999/overvie=
w/Black_Oystercatcher.aspx</a> , that can be listened to. <br>

 number of different shorebirds. <br><br>I suppose another remote possibili=
ty would be Eurasian oystercatchers, which have a high pitched short whistl=
e, and I believe there are 1 or 2 records as vagrants for Eastern N.America=
, or American oystercatchers, of which a few pairs are regular on CSI, and =
a recent report from Canso.<br>

te">On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Blake Maybank <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:maybank@ns.sympatico.ca">maybank@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;</s=
pan> wrote:<br>

r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
At 02:57 PM 26/08/2010, Gayle wrote:<br>
of mine, that recently heard, what they believe to be, numerous Black
Oystercatchers at the Debert Beach. They sent to me, also, an audio
example, also, so will gladly forward it to anyone that might be
I thought I&#39;d clarify the situation.=A0=A0 The observers, Peter May
and Kim Forster, heard something calling at dusk along the Debert Beach
at low tide, from the area where the salt marsh grass meets Fundy
mud.=A0 They didn&#39;t see what was calling (though presumed it was a
bird), and were not able to make a sound recording.=A0=A0 Upon
searching the internet for a similar call they settled upon Black
Oystercatcher as the bird with the call most similar to what they
heard.=A0 Here is the web page with the call:<br><br>
<b><a href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/2dsa4hs" target=3D"_blank">
And that is where the mystery rests.=A0 They have not heard the call
again, but are open to ideas.<br><br>
Cheers,<br><br>
Blake<br><br>
--<br>