[NatureNS] re positives and rights of Poison Ivy

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:25:56 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>

At 12:55 PM -0300 8/27/10, Randy Lauff wrote:
>I believe we have two species of PI in the province...does anyone
>actually see PI growing well inside the woods (not just at the
>edges)?

According to ITIS (Canada) there may be 4 species of PI (eastern,
atlantic, western and poison sumac) but the geographic info there is
lacking, however, the USDA Plants database (see
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=TOXIC ) shows maps of 3
species (eastern, western and poison sumac) occurring in NS (atlantic
is not show as occurring in Canada). I've encountered species of
Toxicodendron in the woods at Smiley's, Dollar Lake, Windsor Basin
and a few other sites as well as along beaches near Pictou.

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3
902-404-5679 (home)
902-460-8343 (cell)

www.myspace.com/papiliomusic
www.myspace.com/philschappert
www.philschappert.com
www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                        (Michael Hedges)