[NatureNS] Re: name of river near Brooklyn, Hants County

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:57:24 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_494621093==.ALT

At 12:40 PM 29/08/2010, Fred Schuler wrote:
>Can someone tell me the name of the river that Hwy215 crosses near
>Union Corners, 3.4km NNW of Hwys 215/14 in Brooklyn, Hants County?
>Neither the provincial roadmap nor any of the online mapping
>services give the name of this stream.

The river in the narrow valley is the Herbert River, and a wonderful
rail-trail extends along several km of its length, accessible from
Rte 215.   This may not be the river of which you speak, as it is
only a little more than 1 km from the southern junction of Rte 14 and
Rte 215 (in Brooklyn).   The larger river to the north of Herbert
River, still on Rte 215, is the Kennetcook River.

Hope this helps.

Blake

Blake Maybank
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
902-852-2077

Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
http://nsbs.chebucto.org

Organiser, Maritimes Nature Travel Club
http://tinyurl.com/naturetravel

author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns
Downloadable Nova Scotia Maps for inside front and back covers:
http://tinyurl.com/mr627d

White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada
--=====================_494621093==.ALT

At 12:40 PM 29/08/2010, Fred Schuler wrote:<br>
the river that Hwy215 crosses near Union Corners, 3.4km NNW of Hwys
215/14 in Brooklyn, Hants County? Neither the provincial roadmap nor any
of the online mapping services give the name of this
stream.</blockquote><br>
The river in the narrow valley is the Herbert River, and a wonderful
rail-trail extends along several km of its length, accessible from Rte
215.&nbsp;&nbsp; This may not be the river of which you speak, as it is
only a little more than 1 km from the southern junction of Rte 14 and Rte
215 (in Brooklyn).&nbsp;&nbsp; The larger river to the north of Herbert
River, still on Rte 215, is the Kennetcook River.<br><br>
Hope this helps.<br><br>
Blake<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Blake Maybank<br>
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca<br>
902-852-2077<br><br>
Editor, &quot;Nova Scotia Birds&quot;<br>
http://nsbs.chebucto.org<br><br>
</a>Organiser, Maritimes Nature Travel Club<br>
author, &quot;Birding Sites of Nova Scotia&quot;<br>
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns<br>
covers:<br>
White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada </body>