[NatureNS] White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 11:43:39 -0300

We survived Earl with little effort and cleanup. It seemed the birds knew
where to come and hunker down. Our trees, under growth and beds were loaded
with small birds including several hummingbirds and warblers (many were
yellow rumped), Verios, Sparrows, various;  a couple flickers and grackles,
lots of grackles. The mourning doves have pulled away since we stopped
feeding them daily but a few watch and wait. I expect they are scouts for
the large flock that is always here. There are a number of goldfinches and
blue jays are showing up again. Earlier this am there were a large number of
bigger birds but as I was looking into the sun, I couldn't tell what they
were......too much noise and sun......may have been the wax wings that have
been coming irregularly regular.
There were chickadees, a couple robins, the first I have seen in awhile and
even a solitary tree swallow. Steve is out doing some much needed yardwork
so bird wise it has gone fairly quiet for now.
After the storm we did our usual rounds of the beaches looking for surf
photos, and saw many big groups of gulls, all a jumble, on the piles of
smashed kelp and sea weeds, tucked out of the high winds. We saw quite large
numbers of sanderlings and such tucked in on the leeside of beaches. More
than I have seen in awhile.
I tried a few photos of the gull groups but they aren't very good. My
inexpertise and the dying camera are both to blame. If someone wants them to
see what they can identify I will happily send them along.
At Andrews Head was the largest concentration I could get even close to now
as I cannot walk the rocks any longer. Out in the cove to the right of the
old pier, there were very small white gulls, with pointy wings, feeding,
just hovering at wave height feeding. I tried for photos but they didn't
come out at all. On looking them up I come to think maybe Icelandic gulls
but I don't know.
Very tired, small, black headed gulls at Western Head at the causeway were
setting down in the roadway and letting cars drive around them.
In the cove behind the old beach meadows school there were a lot of seals
tucked in there as well as a variety of sea ducks.
Oh For those who are curious, Cranberry Creek stayed on the 1st crescent
(parking lot side)  of Carter's beach. There were many hoping it would
revert but it isn't ready to yet! I didn't see them but someone coming off
the beach while we were there said the back beach (where the creek settled
into the blown out dune) was packed with hundreds and hundreds of tiny birds
feeding. I may try to go tomorrow and see how it is then.
Best regards,
 Marg Millard,
White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca