[NatureNS] White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 10:35:47 -0300

It has been a relatively quiet week here with birds filling trees early in
the morning then by noon most have filtered out. Lots of yellow rumped
warblers and other smaller birds. I can't identify as they simply flit
constantly about. The Starling numbers are starting to worry me, I can see
my birdseed budget will be blasted almost immediately.
The exciting thing for me is that I have identified the mystery bird (s) . I
was at a loss, when someone suggest I check out the Blue Grosbeak and the
Buntings. Last spring we did have a Painted Bunting that showed several
times but it in my mind it was a bit smaller than the birds I have seen
recently. I was sitting with my book opened at the right pages and the birds
appeared in the pine tree right by the window! Blue grosbeak. no doubt, we
had them here late spring and early summer with photos. It had the throaty
cheep, loud and harsh, and I had a delightful song, it posed as if to say
"check me out!", then it was joined by the darker bird that I am sure is the
one I have been trying to identify in my grapevine tangle. Mystery solved.
I hear a song this am that I think fits and as I am painting outside I will
be taking the camera with me and maybe I will get lucky again and get a
photo. Thanks to all of you who helped me out with this id.
Laughing gulls are mostly back at the water but a couple juveniles swing
into the yard each day to see can they coax a few kibbles, which mostly they
leave if I were to put them out. They have adjusted in the most amazing way
to my way of thinking. I've seen them cleaning up the Crickets,
Grasshoppers, Daddy long legs, both varieties and now I see them catching
insects in the air not just here but with great aerial displays in by the
salt sheds outside Liverpool. Yesterday Tim's would have won the contest
with the most gulls for awhile but then someone at I rving started feeding
them and they all swooped in there. Must have made life interesting for the
Power Corp guys who were replacing poles and wires in that area.
Gorgeous day out there. Salt this one away for a nasty winter.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca