[NatureNS] Eastern shore - American Oystercatcher (Sept 5)

From: Paul Evans <evans@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 22:06:20 -0300

Just an update on the American Oystercatcher we saw on Sunday. Visually, we
were somewhat sure that this bird was banded. When reviewing digital
photographs later it was very clear that indeed it was banded. However,
because of the distance and the windy conditions I can't make a positive
confirmation on the two character alphanumeric code on the band (I can only
read one of the two characters). However, I can confirm because of the
colouring that this American Oystercatcher was banded in North Carolina.

On Monday we returned to the same location three times at different times
during the tide cycle but no luck in finding it again.

I'll still submit an observation with a photo to the research program
(http://www.ncsu.edu/project/grsmgis/AMOY/Banding.htm), but wish I could
fully read the id code.

Cheers,

Paul