[NatureNS] Fraxinus excelsior and Celastrus

From: "Kristl Walek" <kristl@bellaliant.net>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 10:31:12 -0300

Celastrus orbiculatus is also widely naturalized in Ontario, where the North
American Celastrus scandens is native. One has to look carefully at each
plant encountered there, even in reasonably remote wild spots to ensure one
is actually looking at the native species. This, unfortunately is not native
this far east, so I assume most bittersweet encountered here would be the
Asian orbiculatus.

I believe Fraxinus excelsior is scattered throughout Nova Scotia, where it
has escaped cultivation; but am not aware of it having reached invasive
status. I am more used to seeing the native F. americana and F. nigra in
southwest and central NS and F. nigra further down into Digby County.

Kristl Walek
Gardens North