[NatureNS] under cover life

Cc: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:42:40 -0300

--Apple-Mail-200-987883054

Hi Fred,

On 11-Sep-10, at 4:56 PM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:

> We'll be sending any Sowbugs (Woodlice) or Harvestmen we uncover to =20=

> Don McAlpine at the New Brunswick Museum, who is making good on two =20=

> centuries of these groups of largely introduced species having been =20=

> shamefully ignored in Canada. Anyone who wants to help reduce the =20
> shame of the way these groups have been ignored by contributing =20
> samples should contact Don at <Donald.McAlpine [at] nbm-mnb.ca>.

You should be aware of the fact that Barry Wright, now retired from =20
the Nova Scotia Museum, studied Nova Scotia myriapods (amongst many =20
other things) for many years, building up a substantial collection =20
which housed in the Nova Scotia Museum. Similarly, Calum Ewing, now =20
director of Museum Operations at the Nova Scotia Museum, has studied =20
both opilionids and spiders for many years, and again there are very =20
substantial holding of these groups at the Nova Scotia Museum.

Also, Derek Davis, also retired from the Nova Scotia Museum, but still =20=

active in malacological research, spent a lifetime conducting research =20=

on the terrestrial, freshwater aquatic, and marine molluscs of Nova =20
Scotia which lead to publications such as:

Davis, D.S. 1985. Synopsis and distribution tables of and and =20
freshwater Mollusca of Nova Scotia. Curatorial report 54, Nova Scotia =20=

Museum, Halifax, NS. 30 pp.

Davis, D.S. 2007. Freshwater Mussels of Nova Scotia. Curatorial report =20=

98, Nova Scotia Museum, Halifax, NS. 76 pp.

And others. I note there are some 20 published papers on Nova Scotia =20
mussels alone! There is, in fact, a very long history of publications =20=

extending back almost 150 years on the molluscs of Nova Scotia =20
commencing with studies such as:

Willis, J.R. 1863. Nova Scotia Shells. Privately printed. Reprinted in =20=

Ganong, W.F. 1870. John Robert Willis, the first Nova Scotia =20
conchologist: a memorial. Proceedings and Transactions of the Nova =20
Scotia Institute of Science 7: 404-428.

Jones, J.M. 1877 Molluscs of Nova Scotia. Proceedings and Transactions =20=

of the Nova Scotia Institute of Science 4: 321-330.

In my own field (beetles) a tremendous amount has been done in Nova =20
Scotia on ground beetles (perhaps the commonest of beetles found under =20=

stones, boards, logs, etc.) commencing with the work of the greatest =20
20th century carabidologist, Swedeish zoogeographer Carl Lindroth who =20=

collected extensively here in 1951, subsequently publishing:

Lindroth, C.H. 1954. Carabid beetles from Nova Scotia. The Canadian =20
Entomologist 86: 299-310.

Subsequently Andre Larochelle and Marie-Claude Larivi=E8re, two pre-=20
eminent Canadian carabidologists, surveyed the province extensively in =20=

1987 and 1988 before publishing:

Larochelle, A. & Larivi=E8re, M.-C. (1990)  Premi=E9res mentions de =20
Carabidae (Coleoptera) pour le Maine, le Nouveau-Brunswick, la =20
Nouvelle-=C9cosse et L'=CEle-du-Prince-=C9douard. Fabreries 15(2): =
25-37.

There is, of course, much more to be learned, however, there's a very =20=

solid base in Nova Scotia on invertebrates that live under rocks, in =20
ponds, rivers, in forests, and fields. Keep flipping!

Best wishes!

Christopher Majka

Christopher Majka  <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca> | Halifax, Nova Scotia, =20
Canada

* Research Associate: Nova Scotia Museum | =
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/research-asfr.htm
* Review Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin | http://www.coleopsoc.org/
* Subject Editor: ZooKeys | =
http://pensoftonline.net/zookeys/index.php/journal/index
* Associate Editor: Journal of the Acadian Entomological Society | =
http://www.acadianes.org/journal.html
* Editor: Atlantic Canada Coleoptera | =
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html

"Whenever I hear of the capture of rare beetles, I feel like an old =20
war-horse at the sound of a trumpet." - Charles Darwin

--Apple-Mail-200-987883054

11-Sep-10, at 4:56 PM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:</div><br><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div>We'll be sending any Sowbugs (Woodlice) or Harvestmen =
we uncover to Don McAlpine at the New Brunswick Museum, who is making =
good on two centuries of these groups of largely introduced species =
having been shamefully ignored in Canada. Anyone who wants to help =
reduce the shame of the way these groups have been ignored by =
contributing samples should contact Don at &lt;Donald.McAlpine [at] =
of the fact that Barry Wright, now retired from the Nova Scotia Museum, =
studied Nova Scotia myriapods (amongst many other things) for many =
years, building up a substantial collection which housed in the Nova =
Scotia Museum. Similarly, Calum Ewing, now director of Museum Operations =
at the Nova Scotia Museum, has studied both opilionids and spiders for =
many years, and again there are very substantial holding of these groups =
Davis, also retired from the Nova Scotia Museum, but still active in =
malacological research, spent a lifetime conducting research on the =
terrestrial, freshwater aquatic, and marine molluscs of Nova Scotia =
1985. Synopsis and distribution tables of and and freshwater Mollusca of =
Nova Scotia. Curatorial report 54, Nova Scotia Museum, Halifax, NS. 30 =
of Nova Scotia. Curatorial report 98, Nova Scotia Museum, Halifax, NS. =
20 published papers on Nova Scotia mussels alone! There is, in fact, a =
very long history of publications extending back almost 150 years on the =
molluscs of Nova Scotia commencing with studies such =
Privately printed. Reprinted in Ganong, W.F. 1870. John Robert Willis, =
the first Nova Scotia conchologist: a memorial.&nbsp;Proceedings and =
Transactions of the Nova Scotia Institute of Science 7: =
Scotia. Proceedings and Transactions of the N