[NatureNS] laughing gulls

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:59:54 -0300

There are now over 60 laughing gulls at my doorstep. Many are juveniles. Is
there any hope they will eventually go away or are they going to just starve
as did the 150 plus tree swallows here on Summerville Beach a number of
years ago. (the year when all the cuckoos were blown in)
As Blake suggested I fed them hotdogs and sausages, I'm down to white rice
and don't think that will be good for them at all. They went and got their
friends. Steve says stop as I am only prolonging their distress. Is this
correct, will they leave eventually or just die slowly. I am seeing many in
parking lots and lawns but mostly well away from water! What I have noticed
is the grass hopper population has taken a major hit and for that I think
them.

We attended a wedding on Carter's beach today and there, there were only a
few. I saw those birds feeding occasionally at water line.

There are dead ones roadside at Western head amongst other places being
cleaned up by small hawks that I don't think are all sharpshinned. Very
small and very round. There were sharpshinned there as well as an osprey and
another, a peregrine I think. I was driving and it came eye level loaded
with a bird so I had to concentrate on not hitting it and not having the car
behind rear end me.
Best regards
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca