[NatureNS] Summerville Beach PP - Black Skimmer; Marbled Godwit

From: Stuart Tingley <stubirdnb@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 22:21:18 -0300
Cc: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com

I finished the day at Summerville Beach Provincial Park which is just off Route 103 about 10 kilometers west of Liverpool. At the eastern end of the beach (closest to Summerville Centre) there was a MARBLED GODWIT finding lots of food (large "worms") in the surf. At the far western end of the beach (mouth of the Broad River) there was an adult BLACK SKIMMER resting on the sand. A passerby said she had been seeing up to three daily since Earl went through. There were three FORSTER'S TERNS feeding in the estuary inland from the beach. In the main parking lot at the end of the beach road there were 45 LAUGHING GULLS receiving lots of handouts (mainly dry cat food) from a couple of locals who told me they've been feeding hundreds of Laughing Gulls for days in the general area. They relayed a story of their 80-year old neighbour who has been upset all week since accidentally hitting a Laughing Gull with his car in the fog on his way into Liverpool.

I would estimate that I saw about 600 Laughing Gulls today between Bridgewater and Summerville Beach. They are absolutely eveywhere in that area and their calls fill the air in many places. I had to keep reminding myself today that I was in Nova Scotia!

Good Birding,

Stu Tingley
Shediac, NB