[NatureNS] under cover life

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:42:06 -0300

Hi Fred & All,                    Sept 16, 2010
    I have been wondering for some decades if acid rain has impacted land
snail populations and you may be able to shed some light on this.

    An observation in the early 80's got me wondering; Common Garden snails
were so abundant at the Marble Mountain limestone quarry that it was
difficult to walk without stepping on some.

    In contrast, these snails were relatively abundant in roadside ditches
in Cambridge Kings Co in the early 40's but I have seen almost none since
about 1970.

    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville