[NatureNS] Laughing gulls

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:23:27 -0300
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
CC: Aleta Karstad <karstad@pinicola.ca>

On 9/17/2010 12:26 AM, Marg Millard wrote:
> Here around Brier Island we are literally inundated with L Gulls, most
> of the normaly seen gulls are gone & these guys have taken over. Whats
> up with this unusual number? Frendly chracters, mooching in peoples yards.
> Dave Pugh -  Brier Island
>
> Same here in White Point, Queens. They don't seem inclined even to go to
> the shore! I'm feeling like mother earth, everytime I move through the
> inside of my house they move to that area of my yard and call. Walking
> to the mail box I am accompanied by about 13 - 30. Same with my neighbours.
> Marg, White Point in Queens

* this reminds me of a very tame Canada Goose we found in 2002 in a lake
in northern Quebec, east of James Bay. We could only assume that it was
a park goose from down south that had paired with a northern migratory
mate, and had then lost the mate, perhaps to the Cree spring hunt (see
appended account). Maybe these are fast-food Laughing Gulls that were
blown north by the hurricane and expect People and buildings to be a
generous source of food?

In casual observations around Annapolis Royal and Digby we've seen only
Ringbills and Herring Gulls.

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm
15 June 2002: Canada: Quebec: Nord-du-Quebec Region: Station 42:Lac
Mirabelli, 15.5 km N Riv Pontax I/James Bay Hwy. 32N/14, UTM 18U 349.9
493.2 51.87224N 77.39648W. TIME: 1735-1900. AIR TEMP: 23, light
overcast, Beaufort gentle breeze. HABITAT: sandy Salix/Alnus/Aspen
boatlaunch lot, lakeside Picea woods, turbid brownwater lake. OBSERVER:
Frederick W. Schueler. 2002/140/bb, Branta canadensis (Canada Goose)
(Bird). 1 adult, seen. persistantly hanging around boatlaunch lot. This
Goose didn't leave the boatlaunch site while we were here. We can walk
up to within 3 m of it. It ate all the supper scraps we offered it,
including, overnight, the bones and remains of the cooked fish (though
not the Lemon peels that accompanied the fish - it also doesn't eat
Taraxacum (Dandelion) blooms). It pulls up grass and herbs when we're
not feeding it, but there's only a small area to feed from. We suspect a
park Goose mated to a northerner that was widowed in the spring hunt.
"She" looks longingly at a nest-like pile of Spruce branches with Goose
feathers in it.