[NatureNS] Re: further re Toad Hawk?

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:03:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tuma Young <tumayoung@yahoo.ca>
To: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Cc: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

href=3D"mailto:tumayoung@yahoo.ca"&gt;tumayoung@
--0-1523454910-1284937382=:37989

Hi Jim:

Very interesting about the Black Garter Snake. I knew that NS has, what, 4
species of Garter snakes and that one was black however I did not know that it
only is present on George's Island.  The Micmac Grammar  gives a fairly
comprehensive list of "fowl and fin" and was written by Rev. S.T. Rand who had a
mission in Hantsport.  What I am trying to do is to find the old Micmac name of
birds, convert it to the contemporary spelling (Francis/Smith Orthography) and
then use it in my bird list.  My sisters are Mi'kmaq Immersion teachers and have
been using my pictures along with the names to teach the children about the
birds.  Thus, I want to be as accurate as possible.  However, some of the older
names for the "Fowl" have long falling into disuse and it is a challenge to find
out what the bird is. Indeed the English names do have a habit of changing every
once in a while too.

So far, we have Red-shouldered Hawk, Northern Harrier and the Broad-winged Hawk
as being the "Toad Hawk."  Another names to consider is "The Meat Hawk",
"Snake-Killer", Night-Hawk, Hen-hawk, Sparrow-Hawk (I believe this is the
American Kestrel), Smiter-hawk (a blueish hawk), Grey hawk,  and the Fish-hawk
(possibly the Osprey).  Any help with these names and putting a contemporary
'face' would be really appreciated.

Tuma
Halifax
 Koqwaqja'tekaq'tinej.