[NatureNS] Wasp question (long)

Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:38:48 -0300
From: Steve Shaw <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Paul, Derek, Andy, Dave and all,

Quoting "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>:
> We often hear this said about insects and how strong they are.
> I suspect that the main reason insects seem so strong is merely the
> scale factor.  If ants are so mighty, why are there no really large
> ants around?  Clearly, there is a scale factor which limits their
> size.  It is not possible to build a viable ant larger than a
> certain size.

This scaling factor idea is a large subject with a venerable history
in biology. The biggest insects are probably the formidable SE Asian
bugs, genus Lethoceros, which can reach about 10 cm long.  It would
clearly be possible to build one much larger than this with the same
exoskeletal materials -- crustaceans are similar in that regard and a
big lobster can be ~50 cm long and way heavier (in air) than the
biggest bug.  The question then is, as Paul says, what is it that
limits the achievable size for that body plan?

In air-breathing vertebrates, oxygen is actively pumped into the
lungs, where it combines with an efficient blood pigment which is
actively pumped round the body by the heart, to release oxygen to the
tissues.  Insects also have hearts which circulate the blood, rather
slowly, but oxygenation and removal of CO2 doesn't work that way at
all.  Instead, tiny air tubes (tracheae) originate at holes
(spiracles) along the sides of the body and conduct the oxygen
passively directly to the tissues, by simple diffusion (CO2 diffuses
out similarly).  As Paul points out, dimensional arguments (length L,
L-squared, L-cubed] are very important determinants: in this case, gas
diffusion gradients have the physical property that the rate of
diffusion at the delivery end at the muscles is inversely proportional
to the [length-squared] of the pathway, the tracheal tube.   So if you
double the width of the insect, you double the length of the tube
pathway (*2), but the rate of movement of the gases O2 and CO2 will
drop to one quarter of what it had been before, at the tissue end
(1/(2 squared) = 1/4).  This is believed to be one of the main factors
that limits the ultimate size of insects, such that at large size they
simply cannot supply O2 to the tissues fast enough by passive
diffusion.  The most energetically expensive tissue known is insect
flight muscle, to give an idea of why this might be important.

Crustaceans also have hearts and get round this limitation by having
blood pigments that also do useful things with oxygen.  In addition,
they have a blood circulation with primitive capillaries that
penetrate the body tissues directly, so they are a bit more analogous
to vertebrates in this respect.  These capillaries are not found in
insects, which have a completely 'open' circulation.

> I cannot find any reference proving that ant muscles are actually
> stronger by weight than muscles in other creatures.  Who knows?  It
> might be interesting to find out.  But it seems to me that the
> relative strength of a muscle is roughly proportional to its
> cross-sectional area.  As one scales up the size of a muscle, the
> volume increases as the cube of the linear dimension, but the
> cross-sectional area only as the square.  So a bigger animal will
> have trouble keeping up proportionate strength as it gets larger.

The expectation is that all voluntary muscles will be fairly similar
in their force-generating abilities, weight for weight.  Since the
1960s it has become clear from the ultrastructure of voluntary muscles
that all animals looked at use the same basic sliding-filament design,
with two main sliding proteins actin and myosin, and a similar
biochemistry powered ultimately by ATP.  There are some differences,
for instance some insect muscles are super-contracting where the
filaments can slide even further along each other and cross into
neighbouring sarcomeres.  The sliding filaments are grouped into
little modules arranged end to end each usually 2-5 micrometers long,
called sarcomeres: each of these can exert its own mini-force.  So it
is expected that a muscle of twice the cross-sectional area will be
able to generate twice the force, all other things being equal, as
Paul says. But, in addition, a longer muscle fibre with 2000
sarcomeres in line will generate twice the force of a shorter fibre
with only 1000, so the force generated by a muscle ought to be
proportional to the volume of the muscle not its area, that is, vary
as L-cubed.

> We could see this in a jumping contest.  I have seen a wild Norway
> Rat leap laterally about 3 m, which is many times (perhaps x15) his
> length.  A human Olympic athlete can't jump proportionally so far;
> and a bear (strong as he seems to us) is even a shorter jumper.  And
> they say that an elephant is totally unable to jump at all!

A classical 'dimensional argument' like this is that the
cross-sectional area of the legs (which varies as L-squared) has to be
able to support the weight of the body without fracturing (body weight
varies as L-cubed). As the animal gets a bit heavier (L-cubed), the
cross-sectional area of the legs has to increase proportionally much
more than that to keep up, until you end up with an elephant with
almost unmanageably chunky legs with huge cross-sectional areas (or
those on an even bigger Brontosaurus, which might have been helped by
its buoyancy, living in water in a swamp).

> Thus in a weight-lifting contest where the load is calculated as a
> multiple of the contestant’s body weight, the small animals (other
> things being equal) should win.  Insects, of course, are not formed
> at all like vertebrates, and in their size range an exoskeleton
> could have many advantages.  Exoskeletons do not work at all in our
> size range, which is why there are not any really gigantic insects
> (except in our nightmares, or in sci-fi movies).

Not sure about this, depends what you mean by 'work at all'.  While
insect cuticle is impressive stuff, the breaking strain (under stress
from a big powerful muscle contraction) for the best cuticle might be
lower than that for a similar sized sample of bone; or, it might not
be -- not sure without digging.

> Similarly, we cannot scale humans down to ant size, and there are no
> mammals with that tiny an adult size.
Agreed, but there are certainly insects that are as large or larger
than some very small mammals and birds, so there is some size overlap...

> Birds are another great example of scaling.  Most birds are small.
> Only a few get very large, and as they do, they have more and more
> trouble taking off.  The largest cannot fly at all.

Analogous to the elephant story, the body mass to be lifted against
gravity in flight varies as body volume or weight (proportional to
Length-cubed), while the lift provided by