[NatureNS] Annapolis Marsh

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:30:27 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_IP3oyoBdLp/eGk19EN5lzQ)

Hi,

On our way home from a Trails Conference in Cornwallis Park on Sunday, we stopped and did a walk around the French Basin Trail and Annapolis Marsh in early afternoon.  As usual there were lots of PB Grebes but most of the ducks were still in eclipse plumage.  Ones I could id with some certainty include Mallard, Black Duck, Ring-necked Duck, Green-winged Teal, Amer Wigeon, Gadwall and Wood Duck.  In the sewage pond above the marsh were many Blue-winged Teal which took off as soon as my head reached the top of the embankment.  More Wood Duck and a Northern Shoveller stayed behind.
The only warbler identified was Yellow-rumped.  Spotted Sandpiper and a Merlin were also noted.  Song sparrows and Amer Goldfinch were abundant.
As we returned along the R2T trail at the south end of the Marsh, I noticed a couple of sparrows collecting seeds on the ground.  I didn't have field guides with me or in the car but we had a good look and took some photos.  After reviewing the pics and checking the NGS field guide, I believe that we had two Clay-coloured Sparrows.  I'd be happy to send a few images to anyone interested in looking at them.

Cheers,
Bob McDonald
Halifax

--Boundary_(ID_IP3oyoBdLp/eGk19EN5lzQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18939">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>On our way home from a Trails Conference in Cornwallis Park on
Sunday, we stopped and did a walk around the French Basin Trail and Annapolis
Marsh in early afternoon.&nbsp; As usual there were lots of PB Grebes but most
of the ducks were still in eclipse plumage.&nbsp; Ones I could id with some
certainty include Mallard, Black Duck, Ring-necked Duck, Green-winged Teal, Amer
Wigeon, Gadwall and Wood Duck.&nbsp; In the sewage pond above the marsh were
many Blue-winged Teal which took off as soon as my head reached the top of the
embankment.&nbsp; More Wood Duck and a Northern Shoveller stayed
behind.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>The only warbler identified was Yellow-rumped.&nbsp; Spotted
Sandpiper and a Merlin were also noted.&nbsp; Song sparrows and Amer Goldfinch
were abundant.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>As we returned along the R2T trail at the south end of the
Marsh, I noticed a couple of sparrows collecting seeds on the ground.&nbsp; I
didn't have field guides with me or in the car but we had a good look and took
some photos.&nbsp; After reviewing the pics and checking the NGS field guide, I
believe that we had two Clay-coloured Sparrows.&nbsp; I'd be happy to send a few
images to anyone interested in looking at them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Bob McDonald</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Halifax</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_IP3oyoBdLp/eGk19EN5lzQ)--