[NatureNS] Mourning Cloaks

Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:05:20 -0300
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  Hi Brian,
Yes, the Mourning Cloaks hibernate throughout their range - most of
southern Canada , all of the US except tip of Florida and into northern
Mexico. They also live as adults for about 10 months ( Brock and Kaufman
field Guide to Butterflies of North America (2003) p 202. I guess I am
always thrilled to see them in springtime, and haven't really noticed
them in autumn. Must do some butterfly atlassing next year - too busy
with Bird Atlas this year. Cheers, Joan