[NatureNS] Feather identification.

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 21:35:09 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_P0yoU8vVsxr2GI2LnFk/bA)

Hi Paul & All,                Oct 16, 2010
    If I follow your train ot thought correctly, I agree with you entirely. As is often the case, Aldo Leopold said it best; "We grieve only for what we know".

    If people, and especially young people, are discouraged by regulation from taking an interest in such things as feathers, turtle eggs... then one will over time generate a "Who Cares" attitude with respect to Conservation.

    I may have a few of the facts scrambled (OK when eggs are involved) but there is an interesting connection between Conservation and egg collections. When DDT was suspected to be causing thinning of egg shells, the convincing evidence was found in an extensive collection of egg shells at the London Museum (?). The mean shell thickness of certain species (don't recall) remained essentially constant over many decades and then became increasingly thinner over time after DDT came into use.

    This, in turn, led to the realization that toxins which are soluble in lipids will tend to become concentated as one moves up the food chain and consequently led to better design of pesticides.

    But the Age of Foolishness is by no means restricted to Natural History. I recently replaced a section of copper pipe that had started to leak and bought some new solder in case there was not enough on my old spool (~1970). The contrast between old and new is a cameo of the basis of chemiphobia.

    The old spool says in plain language "50% tin 50% lead". The new spool says 50/50 in large type, without explaining what these numbers refer to, and in much smaller type says "Warning: this product contains lead and may contain other toxic metals...Do not breathe dust.... Wash hands after handling...."

    How exactly could one generate solder dust ? If one handled solder long enough to to acquire biologically significant amouns of lead would one have to have done this over a period of 1000 years, 10,000 years or a much longer period ?

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville