[NatureNS] Feather identification.

From: Lance Laviolette <corvuscorax@sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 13:24:33 -0400

rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank"
------=_NextPart_000_0058_01CB6D35.79849F20

Hi,

While I may agree with a number of your points about many decision makers, I
don't agree with your interpretation of the migratory bird treaty's
application to bird parts. First though, it is not illegal to transport a
bird or bird part to the Nova Scotia Museum or DNR. There are provisions for
that. Second, the law is intended to protect birds from commercial
exploitation (e.g. the non-native harvesting of eagle feet) and not from a
boy or girl or adult who occasionally picks up a feather. I could however,
see a case being pursued against a 'collector' of bird parts as the
reestablishment of a hobby such as egg collecting would have a definite
negative impact on some species of birds that are under many other
pressures. So yes, you might not want to talk about  a hypothetical
collection of bird skulls you might have hypothetically forgotten in a
hypothetical box in your attic.

To confirm what Jim just wrote, raptors are under provincial jurisdiction.

All the best,

Lance