[NatureNS] yew bush with "berries"

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:06:10 -0300

Hi Buckhart & All,                    Oct 20, 2010
    The pulp of the native T. canadensis berry is a refreshing nibble. I
have always taken care not to crush or swallow the seed but wonder if the
seed is as toxic as rumored.

    I associate Yew with soil conditions that lead to relatively open
woodland (especially wooded swamps, excessively drained coarse sand/gravel
and shallow coarse soil over bedrock). In such habitats it is likely to be
present but is easily missed because the distribution is clustered as
opposed to diffuse. I doubt that it can persist long in woods with a closed
canopy or a dense understory.

    Deer will browse Yew almost to ground level but high deer populations
(as yet) tend to last only a few decades until we have one or more winters
of long deep snow and high doe mortality. One time I encounted a Yew swamp
of about 1-2 acre  that had been used as a winter bedding area and there
were only remnants left (Palmeter woods; turn west past bridge and follow an
old sled road along base of esker until road turns north) while 4-6 hundred
paces NW of this a large tall patch has never had more than light browsing.

    There is an extract of a Western Yew that is used for cancer treatment
(Taxol ?) and I think our species also contains this. Some decades ago there
was talk I think of gathering our Yew for this purpose. Whether this was
just for a test and/or whether it came to anything I don't recall having
heard.

    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville