[NatureNS] yew bush with "berries"

From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:18:30 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_yteIYLynIN3AOzLdY4XEFQ)

Hello yew all,  I do know from direct observation that native yew
(Taxus canadensis) can be quite abundant on some of the lake islands
in SW N.S., especially where mature stands of hemlock and pine on
granite and quartzite soils are associated. On these islands it can
be in large patches of low (metre high) stands of branchy, upward-
sweeping shrubs spread over the ground surface in the understory.
Also, I often have found it on steep slopes such as on stream-cut
ravines (at locations here in the Valley and in Cumberland Co.) and
the along the Valley face of the North Mt. Its presence in these
locations has not been as dense as on some of the islands; one has to
look a little more carefully to see it as one climbs the slope.
Perhaps its in these locations because these are places where deer
may not frequently get to browse or more likely the soil humus and
drainage is right  and the tree stands where yew is found have to be
fairly mature (late in the stage of forest succession). (???).

I always think of our native yew as a special find when I come across
it during a hike; in my experience, of all needle-leaved evergreens
in the province, it is the one I see least often (next to it would be
natural stands of Jack Pine) although I'm sure for some of you, you
are in a location where both of these could be an everyday sighting.

I believe the red yew "berry" in botanical terms is not considered a
true berry; it is classed as an aril.

  A bit about Yew in Nova Scotia as I have experienced it,
    Sherman

On 20/10/2010, at 8:52 PM, Angela Joudrey* wrote:

> Maybe yew'll never know....
>
> Angela in Windsor
>
> On 10/20/10, Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Sadly, native yew is hard to find, some people claim due to
>> browsing by deer.
>> I am wondering if yew was more plentiful before white tailed deer
>> arrived.
>>
>> - Burkhard
>> I had a wild Canada Yew once. I tried to protect it but   the deer
>> ate it off.  It did try to recover so they ate it right down to
>> the ground. No more yew.
>> Best regards,
>> Marg Millard,
>> White Point, Queens Co.
>> http://MargMillard.ca
>>

> --
> When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to
> the rest of the world.
> John Muir

--Boundary_(ID_yteIYLynIN3AOzLdY4XEFQ)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
Hello yew all, &nbsp;I do know from direct observation that native yew =
(Taxus canadensis) can be quite abundant on some of the lake islands in =
SW N.S., especially where mature stands of hemlock and pine on granite =
and quartzite soils are associated. On these islands it can be in large =
patches of low (metre high) stands of&nbsp;branchy, upward-sweeping =
shrubs&nbsp;spread over the ground surface in the understory. =
&nbsp;Also, I often have found it on steep slopes such as on stream-cut =
ravines (at locations here in the Valley and in Cumberland Co.) and the =
along the Valley face of the North Mt. Its presence in these locations =
has not been as dense as on some of the islands; one has to look a =
little more carefully to see it as one climbs the slope. Perhaps its in =
these locations because these are places where deer may not frequently =
get to browse or more likely the soil humus and drainage is right =
&nbsp;and the tree stands where yew is found have to be fairly mature =
(late in the stage of forest succession). (???). =
find when I come across it during a hike; in my experience, of all =
needle-leaved evergreens in the province, it is the one I see least =
often (next to it would be natural stands of Jack Pine) although I'm =
sure for some of you, you are in a location where both of these could be =
red&nbsp;yew "berry" in botanical terms is not considered a true berry; =
in Nova Scotia as I have experienced it,</div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Angela Joudrey* wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
style=3D"font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: 16px;">Maybe yew'll =
never know....<br _moz_dirty=3D""><br _moz_dirty=3D"">Angela in =
&lt;mmillard@eastlink.ca&gt; =
wrote:</span><blockquote =
cite=3D"mid:338439CABC9A48D090F68EB2C9C05149@amdx25200" class=3D"iwcQuote"=
 style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 255); padding-left: 13px; =
margin-left: 0pt;" type=3D"cite"><div class=3D"mimepart text =
plain">Sadly, native yew is hard to find, some people claim due to =
browsing by deer.<br>I am wondering if yew was more plentiful before =
wild Canada Yew once. I tried to protect it but&nbsp;&nbsp; the deer ate =
it off.&nbsp; It did try to recover so they ate it right down to the =
Queens Co.<br><a href=3D"http://MargMillard.ca" =
target=3D"_blank">http://MargMillard.ca</a> =
thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. <br>John =

--Boundary_(ID_yteIYLynIN3AOzLdY4XEFQ)--