[NatureNS] White list of authorized plants

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 19:38:37 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_zJbAQRm+G3yCJkz9SC4n8g)

Hi Randy & All,            Oct 25, 2010
    The properties of Purple Loosestrife were discussed at some length on naturens several years ago and, as I recall, it is a good example of a plant with positive properties that has been smeared by prejudice (non-native = bad) and faulty thinking.

    The seeds float and are thus readily carried downslope by flowing water so, given a stand upslope, it can rapidly become established along the bare earth of runoff channels such as recently graded highway ditches and in low areas to which this runoff flows.

    The stand of plants that subsequently develops not only decreases soil erosion, thereby decreasing siltation of inland waterways, it also moderates the extreme fluctuation in runoff rates over time that is characteristic of bare earth and slows the march of solutes to the ocean [any fairly large plant would be just as good but being a pioneer it may get there first].

    So unless one is for some reason a fan of soil loss, silt choked streams/lakes and flash floods all of these effects are positive.

    And some cohort of organisms must make use of the carbon fixed by PL; another positive. Why waste sunlight ?  I have not read it in context but one quote from William Blake may be applicable here "...everything that lives is holy, life delights in life."

    Something carries these seeds upslope, presumably birds. Shortly after I joined Naturens I came across two small stands (~1-2 metres across) south of Kentville. After a few years they were overwhelmed by Blackberries, Roses, Juncus etc.

    Pretending that some usefull plant such as PL is a menace may make some people feel good but they should reflect that the genuine menace is the set of human activities that prepares the seedbed; urban sprawl, roads to nowhere, superhighways and the mindless pursuit of the horizon.

    As Pogo observed some 55 years ago, "I have seen the enemy and he is us."

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville