[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:57:13 -0300

Today we still have 3 orioles, mainly in the grapevine, (grapes are getting
scarce) about 30 Robins who have taken over the Hawthorne trees and my
neighbour's lawn, a few Song sparrows; I think a few are Juvenile White
throats. Blue Jays, Grackles and Starlings all drop in from time to time and
the Mourning Dove numbers are building. I think we have 30 or more now, well
down from the 90 plus we had earlier in the year. Steve said earlier the
Hawthorns out front were filled with Evening Grosbeaks. There are a number
of Yellow Rumped Warblers, a few Purple Finches on or two males in wonderful
colour. Eyes looked clean to me. There have been the American Goldfinches as
well as a few Juncos. Two Northern Flickers are around visiting several
times a day and chatting back and forth a lot. Love that jungle sound. All
nine young crows are here several times a day. Periodically they have all
their friends and neighbours in the trees a property down and what a racket,
then they all go in different directions calling back and forth. The crows
are most definitely hunting smaller birds. I did hear a shrike the other day
but I did not get a good visual.
There has been an all white duck in the Meadow Pond with the Mallards. I
don't remember one being there before but will keep an eye on it. I don't
know what it is am looking it up next. It seems to be alone in a crowd.
Happy Hallowe'en All.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca