[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:04:59 -0300

It is a some what busy day here in White Point despite the rain. There are a
number of soggy Blue Jays fluttering to grab sunflower seeds from the
Chickadee feeder.  They have gotten quite good at it but must expend a great
deal of energy to get a bit to eat.
Mourning dove numbers are increasing every few hours. We have a flock of
Grackles coming in from time to time to check to see what is being offered.
(There is a female red-winged blackbird with them and one of the grackles is
slightly different colouration but I haven't pin pointed what it is, yet )
Of course Starlings are doing the same.
The list grows with American Goldfinches, an elusive Vireo (I think) Robins,
sparrows various, Chickadees, numerous, a pair of White Breasted Nuthatches
as well as at least one Red Breasted Nuthatch. A Downy woodpecker now comes
at suppertime so I am not totally abandoned but then I am not putting suet
stuff out as it is too warm.
Treat is we have 3 Northern Orioles eating the rose hips, the holly berries
as well as the grapes. day 3 for them.
Everyone is taking a grape from time to time. They have ripened and are
lovely golden and sweet. The chipmunk scavenges a bit, nibbles a grape with
obvious enjoyment, bathes, then repeats the cycle.
A few moments ago we were visited by two Northern Flickers right up one the
steps checking out a pot of calendula blooms, and I suppose the seed heads I
am hoping will ripen to save for next year's planting.
Early this am I heard a very close by peeping. One quite high, another
slightly lower. My first thought was peepers but the sound moved quite
rapidly from behind the house to alongside just outside our window, and
higher up. Definitely not at ground level. I couldn't see anything, not
surprisingly, but am quite curious. It was about  3:29 when I checked the
clock. It was intermittent and lasted about 40 minutes. Any suggestions as
to what it might have been. We have had raccoons visiting, raiding both the
hummingbird feeder as well as the chickadee's, and climbing up after grapes.
I can't say I ever heard them making a peeping sound. Many other noises but
not what I heard. There is always a first time I suppose but....
There have been a number of long strings of geese moving. There is still a
heron in the Meadow Pond as you come from Liverpool most days. Last year
there was one there until the snow flew.
At any rate it is a peaceful damp day here, nice for snuggling down with a
book and bird watching, a pot of soup in the making simmering away on the
burner.
best regards, Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca