[NatureNS]Invasive aliens: was re unauthorized vs. OK plants

From: Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:03:49 -0300

&gt; herbicides and wipe o
--_834f8fac-fb9b-4a08-857d-c56078f868f9_

Japanese Knotweed at McNabs
=20

From: dwebster@glinx.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Subject: Re: [NatureNS]Invasive aliens: was re unauthorized vs. OK plants l=
ists
Date: Sun=2C 31 Oct 2010 21:20:48 -0300

HI Jim & All=2C                    Oct 31=2C 2010
Executive summary:=20
    I can not think of one non-native plant that has caused a serious probl=
em in Eastern Canada. Some=2C for a few years=2C may locally overwhelm nati=
ve plants. But sometimes native plants overwhelm other native plants.=20
=20
The longer version:
    Labels tend to cloud rather than clarify matters=2C as I will discuss l=
ater. First though one should get the history correct.
=20
    Based on Gray' s Manual (7 th ed=3B 1908)=2C Purple loosestrife (as Lyt=
hrum salicaria and as L. salicaria var. tomentosum) must have landed in Nor=
th America way before 1900. By the time this 7 th ed. was compiled and prin=
ted=2C typical PL was present in N.E.=2C Del. & D.C. and var tomentosum was=
 present from e. Que to Vt and in s. Ont. Much of these range descriptions =
were likely based on pre-1900 collections. =20
=20
    Someone who has access to earlier editions of Gray's manuals and/or Har=
vard/Yale herbaria catalogues will be able to establish a more precise date=
 but I would guess well before 1800 and perhaps partly or entirely as ornam=
entals.=20
=20
    The 7th ed. says L. salicaria is 'local'. In the 8th ed. (1950) this is=
 expanded to 'locally abundant=2C often too aggressive in choking out nativ=
e vegetation.' .=20
=20
LABELS: Labels are fine if in=2C e.g. ecology=2C if they are used to charac=
terize some set of responses to some defined set of conditions. The label "=
Old Field Spruce" e.g. has been used to refer to the forest cover that init=
ially replaces the mostly herbaceous ground cover of abandoned farmland=3B =
the older trees being predominantly Spruce (favoured by exposed mineral soi=
l) and the later arrivals being predominantly Fir (favoured by litter).=20
=20
    I suppose from the viewpoint of these displaced shade-intolerant herbac=
eous plants=2C these Spruce could be considered "Invasive" but more objecti=
vely they are just players in a process of secondary succession.=20
=20
    And secondary succession never sleeps. Shortly after crustose lichens e=
stablish borders they are swamped by foliose lichens that prosper at the ed=
ges and decline in the middle. And comparable processes of encroachment=2C =
prosperity at the fringes with stagnation in the interior can be seen in th=
e vegetation of barrens=2C bogs and even in woodland (esp at the level of a=
ir photographs). =20
=20
    But labels=2C such as "Invasive Alien" that are assigned on the basis o=
f prejudice or labels that have emotional overtones can obstruct clear thou=
ght and consequently belong more in the realms of politics or propaganda th=
an in natural history or biology.=20
=20
    In many and perhaps all cases the question is not "Why did this plant b=
ecome invasive ?" but "Why did it become fashionable to call this plant inv=
asive ?"  Or even "Why did it become fashionable to call alien plants that =
do unusually well here invasive ?"=20
=20
    Was it to drum up support for field research ? [It is unfortunately lik=
ely true that a research proposal to avert some crisis is more likely to be=
 funded than a proposal to just study the natural world. If there is no cri=
sis in sight then it will be expedient to invent some. Surviving cultures a=
re those that adopt the trappings that facilitate survival.]
=20
     Or was it to solicit contributions to save... whatever fits...=3B our =
native pristine wetlands...the Acadian Forest... or at least cover the cost=
 of collecting the contributions ?=20
=20
     Proceeding now from the general to the particular=2C if we are to " or=
dinarily rule against importation of any non-native species. " I guess this=
 means we should=2C while there is still time before these non-native speci=
es become vicious=2C wipe out the Sable Island Ponies and of course outlaw =
most agricultural crops and livestock ( e.g. horses=2C cattle=2C sheep=2C g=
oats=2C asparagus=2C potatoes=2C oats=2C barley =2C wheat=2C beets=2C carro=
ts=2C tomatoes=2C apple=2C pear=2C ....and rabbits=3B especially rabbits) a=
nd=2C to be on the safe side=2C we should bring back non-selective herbicid=
es and wipe out the mostly non-native vegetation of lawns=2C ornamental shr=
ubs and flower gardens.=20
=20
    And if we are going to  "ordinarily rule against importation of any non=
-native species"=2C and bearing in mind that native species are already her=
e and thus do not need to be imported=2C I guess this means that we should =
close the border to all trade involving plants (or animals by extension). =
=20
=20
    Hopefully those non-native plants that travel by wind=2C water=2C flesh=
 or fowl  will do the right thing and bail out before they cross the border=
.=20
=20
    But on the other hand=2C perhaps those very aggressive invasive species=
 will be inconsiderate enough to cross the border anyway. In fact that migh=
t be a practical working definition of this class. Therefore=2C on this bas=
is=2C all plants should be on the white list.=20
=20
   Yt=2C Dave Webster=2C Kentville

----- Original Message -----=20