[NatureNS]Invasive aliens: was re unauthorized vs. OK plants lists

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 19:24:22 -0400

--Apple-Mail-24--952066071

Of course, invasives are generally introduced by non-natural means.

Not mentioned among the harmful invasives in NS is Mouse-eared =20
Hawkweed.  It competes with native grasses, lowers the grazing =20
potential of pastureland, increases runoff, and is almost impossible =20
to get rid of.

It took me a trip to Africa (to observe the bushveld mammals) tot =20
persuad me that human impact is so intense in some areas that only =20
intelligent management can preserve a healthy approximation to the =20
=93natural=94 fauna.

On my NS property, most of the =93wild=94 flowers are actually European. =
 =20
That is no exaggeration.  The commonest crab along the shore is also =20
European, and has drive out the native species.  The commonest orb-=20
weaver spider first showed up in Nova Scotia in the 1880s, and one =20
rather seldom sees the native forms in any such numbers.

Most of these invasives are impossible to control.  But we can fight =20
some of the most noxious ones: House Sparrows, Poison Ivy, feral cats, =20=

&c.

There are places in the world where introduction of non-native species =20=

has been truly disastrous: in Hawaii over half the native bird species =20=

have gone extinct because of the introduction of non-native =20
predators.  More extinctions have been caused by introduction of =20
invasives that by hunting!

On 2 Nov 2010, at 12:03 AM, uhoeger@dal.ca wrote:

> This kind of imprudent, incorrect and misleading argumentation could =20=

> be
> made to put an end to each and every environmental, conservational,
> medical, humanitarian, etc. project.
>
> Ulli
>
> P.S. And what was the definition of  "natural selection" in the =20
> evolution
> theory again?
>

>> Hey all you evolutionists out there, why are you trying to prevent =20=

>> 'natural selection' and 'survival of
>> the fittest'?
>>
>> Lois & Don Codling

--Apple-Mail-24--952066071

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Of course, invasives are =
mentioned among the harmful invasives in NS is Mouse-eared Hawkweed. =
&nbsp;It competes with native grasses, lowers the grazing potential of =
pastureland, increases runoff, and is almost impossible to get rid =
bushveld mammals) tot persuad me that human impact is so intense in some =
areas that only intelligent management can preserve a healthy =
NS property, most of the =93wild=94 flowers are actually European. =
&nbsp;That is no exaggeration. &nbsp;The commonest crab along the shore =
is also European, and has drive out the native species. &nbsp;The =
commonest orb-weaver spider first showed up in Nova Scotia in the 1880s, =
and one rather seldom sees the native forms in any such =
to control. &nbsp;But we can fight some of the most noxious ones: House =
are places in the world where introduction of non-native species has =
been truly disastrous: in Hawaii over half the native bird species have =
gone extinct because of the introduction of non-native predators. =
&nbsp;More extinctions have been caused by introduction of invasives =
at 12:03 AM, uhoeger@dal.ca =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div>This kind of imprudent, incorrect and misleading =
argumentation could be <br>made to put an end to each and every =
environmental, conservational, <br>medical, humanitarian, etc. =
&nbsp;"natural selection" in the evolution <br>theory =
type=3D"cite">Hey all you evolutionists out there, why are you trying to =
prevent 'natural selection' and 'survival of =
fittest'?<br></blockquote><blockquote =
ml>=

--Apple-Mail-24--952066071--