[NatureNS] Greylag Goose

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:09:45 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_UyIkBub/uZEnI4g4NJ6A0A)

I found the Greylag Goose in the stubble field east of the road leading into the Lower Onslow (Clarke) Cemetery this morning at about  8:15AM.  I had checked the area earlier at 7:30AM when there were about 30 Canada Geese present but no Greylag Goose, so I wandered about a tad.  When I returned there were about 100 Canada Geese present so apparently this was the place to be!

I found the Greylag Goose in the melee almost immediately and took some quick record photos and then slowly backed down the hill towards the cemetery gates. I opened my hatch and got out my telephoto lens without the geese seeing me.  I then put my telephoto lens on a couple of bean bags on my driver side window and slowly returned.  I got several more photos of the Greylag Goose.  The subject soon disappeared over the rise and was becoming fenced by even more arriving Canada Geese.  By the time I left at about 8:30AM there were about 300 Canada Geese keeping the Greylag Goose company.

I'll post photos later albeit with severe cropping and enlargement.

I didn't raise a single goose.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_UyIkBub/uZEnI4g4NJ6A0A)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18975">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I found the <STRONG>Greylag Goose</STRONG> in the
stubble field east of the road leading into the Lower Onslow (Clarke) Cemetery
this morning at about&nbsp; 8:15AM.&nbsp; I had checked the&nbsp;area earlier at
7:30AM when there were about 30 Canada Geese present but no Greylag Goose, so I
wandered about a&nbsp;tad.&nbsp; When I returned there were about 100 Canada
Geese present so apparently this was the place to be!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I found the Greylag Goose in the melee almost
immediately and took some quick record photos and then slowly backed down the
hill towards the cemetery gates. I opened my hatch and got out my telephoto lens
without the geese seeing me.&nbsp; I then put my telephoto lens on a couple of
bean bags on my driver side window and slowly returned.&nbsp; I got several more
photos of the Greylag Goose.&nbsp; The subject soon disappeared over the rise
and was becoming fenced by even more arriving Canada Geese.&nbsp; By the time I
left at about 8:30AM there were about 300 Canada Geese&nbsp;keeping the Greylag
Goose company.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I'll post photos later albeit with severe cropping
and enlargement.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I didn't raise a single goose.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_UyIkBub/uZEnI4g4NJ6A0A)--