[NatureNS] Scott and Gilhen Honored by Acadia

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 03:40:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-2108361696-1289216456=:89347

I, too, was pleased to see this posting as well. Admittedly fairly new to t=
he list, I had the honour of=A0 receiving an autographed copy of=A0Mr.Gilhe=
n's book, Amphibians and Reptiles of Nova Scotia plus an insert from an iss=
ue of The Canadian Field Naturalist focusing on the behaviour of the Mariti=
me Garter Snake, from him. He was interested in my account of finding a sna=
ke in my bathroom one June evening=A02 summers ago.=20
He also, sent me a very detailed letter about the status of turtles here in=
 NS after a friend of mine rescued one from the highway and brought it into=
 Dartmouth and put it in Sullivan's Pond. It was a real eye opener.
And speaking of salamanders, this past very wet weekend in Brookfield, just=
 outside of Truro, I have learned that a homeowner found and removed at lea=
st 9 (had a photo on their Facebook which showed 6) Yellow-spotted Salamand=
ers out of the sump-pump area of their basement. He also said he found one =
in the dog-run that was the biggest he had ever seen, at least 8 inches. He=
 said that he usually sees Blue-spotted around his area. Anyway, thought I =
would share this with the list.
=A0
Sincerely,
=A0