[NatureNS] Greater White-fronted Goose, Onslow, Col. Co.

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:53:23 -0400
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_l4d3070llW1x4/DVoJA9HQ)

Today I decided to ignore the mega-tick goose in the Truro area (which is still where it was
yesterday) and concentrate on "other" geese.

At high water this morning hundreds of geese were coming in from the W to the Onslow
area. Since last week there has been a striking change of composition. A week ago, most of
the few thousand birds I saw were big white-breasted Canada Canadas like our local birds.
Today, at least a third of the birds I saw were dark-breasted, likely mostly the northern Branta
canadensis interior. And not to my great surprise, considering the northern aspect of this
week's flocks, by afternoon among about 4000 Canadas that had gathered during the
morning practically on the roadside of McWilliam Road was a beautiful adult Greater White-
fronted Goose. It had a nice bright orange bill and legs, and plenty of dark barring on the belly
- pretty much a classic "Greenland" White-front.

Too really classy geese in one day - plus some interesting and attractive Canadas too.
Definitely a good birding day.

Dr Eric L. Mills
(Professor Emeritus of History of Science, Dalhousie University;
Inglis Professor, University of King's College)
Department of Oceanography
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4J1, Canada

e.mills@dal.ca
http://oceanography.dal.ca/person/Eric_L._Mills.html

--Boundary_(ID_l4d3070llW1x4/DVoJA9HQ)

<title></title>
</head>
Today I decided to ignore the mega-tick goose in the Truro area (which is still where it was
yesterday) and concentrate on &quot;other&quot; geese. </span></font>
At high water this morning hundreds of geese were coming in from the W to the Onslow
area. Since last week there has been a striking change of composition. A week ago, most of
the few thousand birds I saw were big white-breasted Canada Canadas like our local birds.
Today, at least a third of the birds I saw were dark-breasted, likely mostly the northern <i>Branta</i>
<i>canadensis interior</i>. And not to my great surprise, considering the northern aspect of this
week's flocks, by afternoon among about 4000 Canadas that had gathered during the
morning practically on the roadside of McWilliam Road was a beautiful adult Greater White-
fronted Goose. It had a nice bright orange bill and legs, and plenty of dark barring on the belly
- pretty much a classic &quot;Greenland&quot; White-front. </span></font>
Too really classy geese in one day - plus some interesting and attractive Canadas too.
Definitely a good birding day. </span></font>
Dr Eric L. Mills</span></font>
(Professor Emeritus of History of Science, Dalhousie University; </span></font>
Inglis Professor, University of King's College)</span></font>
Department of Oceanography</span></font>
Dalhousie University</span></font>
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4J1, Canada</span></font>
e.mills@dal.ca</span></font>
http://oceanography.dal.ca/person/Eric_L._Mills.html</span></font>
&nbsp;</div>

--Boundary_(ID_l4d3070llW1x4/DVoJA9HQ)--