[NatureNS] Graylag, Bell's Vireo and other

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 01:36:08 +0000

--_69390a9c-72c8-471a-b364-42e957ea3c67_

Hi all:
=20
Dorothy Poole=2C Pat Gladman and I went for the Graylag today.  We saw it a=
s posted at house 132 on Mountain Lee Road.  We also heard from the owner o=
f the house that a local that came by saw the bird and said that it had bee=
n around the area for the better part of the summer=2C which is interesting=
.  That person did not think that it was anything special.  Can anyone else=
 add anything further to this?  That would suggest that the bird arrived du=
ring one of our major summer storms. =20
=20
We then went to Spryfield to try for the Bell's Vireo.  Upon arrival below =
the Baptist Church our reception was of two pit bulls off their leads.  The=
 owner had a third on the lead and assured us that we had nothing to fear. =
 I don't care what anyone says=2C I definitely do not trust this species=2C=
 especially since an episode that Pat and I had near Church Point=2C when w=
e were attending a French Festival and went birding on a trail there a few =
years ago.  We were lucky that we were not attacked and it was a scary situ=
ation with the pit bull growling a few feet away from us.  Again this was a=
n unconcerned owner beside a public trail and that pit bull was very aggres=
sive.  I won't go into details but after a long time of our not moving I wa=
s finally able to raise the owner with some unrepeatable words and to get h=
er to call the beast off.  We made a swift retreat to another part of that =
trail and thankfully it had a happy ending.   I know enough not to move whe=
n dogs like that are about or not to give them a reason to attack=2C but Pa=
t is not so calm when it comes to this species.  The woman was extremely de=
fensive of her dogs and downright nasty saying that she had let them off to=
 do their business as a reason.  Not a very good one considering. After thi=
s encounter the rest of the day went well.  I had noted a bird of about the=
 size=2C color and shape of the Bell's vireo fly across when the dogs first=
 made their appearance.  Shortly after we were able to locate it and sure e=
nough it was our target.  We watched it for about one hours as it foraged a=
long the gully and through the multiflora=2C up to the fence edge and into =
the open a number of times.  It then came back out and up to the top of one=
 of the rose bushes about five feet from us and sat there scolding us for a=
 short time.  Of course our cameras were back in the car.  The bird then we=
nt back down into the gully and worked its way along to the pathway.  It sa=
t there for a short moment and then crossed over to the other side of the p=
ath that comes down from the church.  It then continued along a gully and i=
nto the large bushy section where the trail comes to a dead end.  After awh=
ile we could hear the bird scolding from over in that direction.  While pre=
sent we also had wonderful looks at the yellow-breated chat and an orange-c=
rowned warbler.  Elizabeth Doull=2C Patricia Chalmers=2C and Alan Covert we=
re able to see these last two birds also.  At this point it was about 15:30=
 and I noticed  an active bat that I pointed out to everyone present.  The =
bat was actively foraging for insects. =20
=20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport 		 	   		  =

--_69390a9c-72c8-471a-b364-42e957ea3c67_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
<FONT size=3D3>Hi all:</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Dorothy Poole=2C Pat Gladman and I went for the Graylag toda=
y.&nbsp=3B We saw it as posted at house 132 on Mountain Lee Road.&nbsp=3B W=
e also heard from&nbsp=3Bthe owner of the house that a&nbsp=3Blocal that ca=
me by saw the bird and said that&nbsp=3Bit had been around the area for the=
 better part of the summer=2C which is interesting.&nbsp=3B That person did=
 not think that it was anything special.&nbsp=3B Can anyone else add anythi=
ng further to this?&nbsp=3B That would suggest that the bird arrived during=
 one of our major summer storms.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>We then went to Spryfield to try for the Bell's Vireo.&nbsp=
=3B Upon arrival below the Baptist Church our reception was of two pit bull=
s off their leads.&nbsp=3B The owner had a third on the lead and assured us=
 that we had nothing to fear.&nbsp=3B I don't care what anyone says=2C I de=
finitely do not trust this species=2C especially since an episode that Pat =
and I had near Church Point=2C when we were attending a French Festival and=
 went birding on a trail there a few years ago.&nbsp=3B We were lucky that =
we were not attacked and it was a scary&nbsp=3Bsituation with the pit bull =
growling a few feet away from us.&nbsp=3B Again this was an unconcerned own=
er beside a public trail and that&nbsp=3Bpit bull&nbsp=3Bwas very aggressiv=
e.&nbsp=3B I won't go into details but after a long time of our not moving =
I was finally able to raise the owner with some&nbsp=3Bunrepeatable words&n=
bsp=3Band to get her to call the beast off.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BWe made a swift =
retreat to another part of that trail and thankfully it had a happy ending.=
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B I know enough not to move when dogs like that are about or=
 not to give them a reason to attack=2C but Pat is not so calm when it come=
s to this species.&nbsp=3B The woman was extremely defensive of her dogs an=
d downright nasty saying that she had let them off to do their business as =
a reason.&nbsp=3B Not a very good one considering.&nbsp=3BAfter this encoun=
ter the rest of the day went well.&nbsp=3B I had noted a bird of about the =
size=2C color and shape of the Bell's vireo fly across when the dogs first =
made their appearance.&nbsp=3B Shortly after we were able to locate it and =
sure enough it was our target.&nbsp=3B We watched it for about one hours as=
 it foraged along the&nbsp=3Bgully and through the multiflora=2C up to the =
fence edge and into the open a number of times.&nbsp=3B It then came back o=
ut and up to the top of one of the rose bushes about five feet from us and =
sat there scolding us for a short time.&nbsp=3B Of course our cameras were =
back in the car.&nbsp=3B The bird then went back down into the&nbsp=3Bgully=
 and&nbsp=3Bworked its way along&nbsp=3Bto the pathway.&nbsp=3B It sat ther=
e for a short moment and then crossed over to the other side of the path th=
at comes down&nbsp=3Bfrom the church.&nbsp=3B It then continued along a gul=
ly and into the large bushy section where the trail comes to a dead end.&nb=
sp=3B After awhile we could hear the bird scolding from over in that direct=
ion.&nbsp=3B While present we also had wonderful looks at the yellow-breate=
d chat and&nbsp=3Ban orange-crowned warbler.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BElizabeth Doull=
=2C Patricia Chalmers=2C and Alan Covert were able to see these last two bi=
rds also.&nbsp=3B At this point it was&nbsp=3Babout&nbsp=3B15:30 and I noti=
ced &nbsp=3Ban active bat that I pointed out to everyone present.&nbsp=3B T=
he bat was actively foraging for insects.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Bayport</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_69390a9c-72c8-471a-b364-42e957ea3c67_--