[NatureNS] A Guide To Bird Songs Comments

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 02:01:32 +0000

--_4cb89558-ae94-40cb-a828-99193b70efef_

Hello all:
=20
I'm currently reading a book entitled=2C "A Guide To Bird Songs"=2C by Aret=
as A Saunders=2C 1935.  Overall it is a dry read=2C with quite a few bad si=
ze comparisons of birds.  The song interpretations are quite different from=
 what we give some species today or in comparison to what modern books say.=
  I'm keeping in mind though that this likely was one of the first books th=
at would have looked at bird songs in detail and likely was part of early b=
ird research.  Studies for this book were done in the United States and a l=
ot of it occurs around New York.  Size of most species are based in compari=
son to the English Sparrow.  I won't bother you with what the author said=
=2C but many birds sound like they were a lot smaller back then as compared=
 to now.  I won't say anymore about this and these opinions are my own.  Ot=
hers might think differently. =20
=20
Anyhow=2C at one point in the book it talks about Larks.  First it refers t=
o the horned lark and then to a separate species of Praire Lark.  Does this=
 second species of lark still exist=2C or does it go by a different name or=
 were they lumped together as time went on? =20
=20
Sincerely=2C
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport 		 	   		  =

--_4cb89558-ae94-40cb-a828-99193b70efef_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
<FONT size=3D3>Hello all:</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>I'm currently reading a book entitled=2C "A Guide To Bird So=
ngs"=2C by Aretas A Saunders=2C 1935.&nbsp=3B Overall it is a dry read=2C w=
ith quite a few bad size comparisons of birds.&nbsp=3B The song interpretat=
ions are quite different from what we give some species today or in compari=
son to what modern books say.&nbsp=3B I'm keeping in mind though that this =
likely was one of the first books that would have looked at bird songs in d=
etail and likely was part of early bird research.&nbsp=3B Studies for this =
book were done in the United States and a lot of it occurs around New York.=
&nbsp=3B Size&nbsp=3Bof most species are based in comparison to the English=
 Sparrow.&nbsp=3B I won't bother you with what&nbsp=3Bthe author&nbsp=3Bsai=
d=2C but many birds sound like they were a lot smaller back then as compare=
d to now.&nbsp=3B I won't say anymore about this and these opinions are my =
own.&nbsp=3B Others might think differently.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Anyhow=2C at one point in the book it talks about Larks.&nbs=
p=3B First it refers to the horned lark and then to a separate species of&n=
bsp=3BPraire Lark.&nbsp=3B Does this second species of lark still exist=2C =
or does it go by a different name or were they lumped together as time went=
 on?&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Sincerely=2C</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Bayport</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_4cb89558-ae94-40cb-a828-99193b70efef_--