[NatureNS] A Bayberry Mystery

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:09:24 -0500
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 11/25/2010 12:53 PM, Blake Maybank wrote:

> I stuck the branches into a half-barrel near the feeders. I was curious
> to learn if anything would discover the berries, and how long it would
> take. All the berries disappeared that first day.
>
> I wasn't expecting such a fast result, and as I quite busy that day I
> had not kept an eye on the Bayberry. I do know there were no robins or
> waxwings around, or any other obvious berry lover.

* it may be an improbable candidate at this season, but the "Myrtle
Warbler (Dendroica coronata, now dubbed "Yellow-rump") was evidently
so-called because it ate "Myrtle" (=Bay) berries.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm