[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:11:30 -0400

An interesting week here in White Point. There are the usual growing numbers
of Mourning Doves, Blue Jays and Chickadees. There are large groups of
Starlings swinging in and out from time to time but we haven't started using
all the feeding stations so rations aren't as plentiful so they move on,
thankfully.
We have had a number of injured birds. There is a mourning dove, a young
one, still has the lacey patter on its wings, with a nasty puncture wound
and gouge across its back, taking part of its wing away. It seems to feed
well and flies ok but is very wary. I'm thinking maybe cat grabbed it but
Steve things raptor. There is  Common Grackle that was flying with a small
group, some of whom were feeding it, when its leg was really out of whack.
It appeared to be the left leg being held up under its belly. It is coming
now by itself and manages just ok. That leg is being used more but appears
to be painful. It seems to have something else wrong. It will suddenly fall
over and struggle to get upright. Seems to be having some problem with
either leg now. Other thing is it isn't streamlined like the other birds. It
seems to be quite Plump and is always working its feathers.
We do have a couple hawk types hunting here. There is at least one Sharp
shinned hawk but there is another that has more rounded wings, tail and
heavier body. sits like a Blue Jay and man is it fast. It doesn't give up,
will fly right into a bush and root out a bird. Has a yellow beak. It has
been coming about  3:30 and going after the sparrows and the chickadees.
When I see it I am looking into the light so I can't id it. yet.

The odd Junco or two show up, a small group of American Goldfinches and
still only a few sparrows,. They appear to be Song sparrows and White
Throats.
There have been two Red winged blackbirds. Differrent times. One seems to be
alone, the other is travelling with Starlings. My first instinct is Juvenile
males but there is something about one that is a bit different. Almost looks
like a cross between a starling and a blackbird. They are very interested in
the pumpkin seeds in the compost bin although one comes to the feeder
occasionally.
A couple Downy woodpeckers have shown up and my very loud Hairy comes again,
screaming across the neighbourhood to say there had better be something
there when she gets there. She is so funny. It being so warm yet I haven't
put out the seed cakes yet. She isn't impressed with that at all let me tell
you!
 Nut hatches , both the Red breasted and the white Breasted have moved on.
Oh we cleaned out the swallow house and there were two distinct nests in
there. Looks like one couple started and someone came along and took over.
there were 24 or more white feathers in it (now very soiled of course) and
it was all woven with pine needles. Much more elaborate than other years. No
eggs left and no bodies so I think we had at least four fledge. July 1st
appears to be the day our crews have lift off.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca