[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:37:46 -0300

Things are quieting down here a lot. It is almost that we are abandoned.
There are a few hummingbirds left mostly females and juveniles. I was away
for three days and after seeing a number of downy woodpeckers in particular,
feeding their young, I have only seen one, and not feeding the young here
but maybe taking food to the nest. There is a hawk, a small fierce
sharp-shinned I think, that is lethal and all I see if a burst of feathers
and not even remains.

I do have that little gray/brown bird I cannot id. It has been the focus of
my camera all afternoon on and off and only just now I have been able to get
a few shots. Not good shots either. It moves constantly or is totally frozen
and I loose it. Probably an easy ID for someone more experienced than I. I
initially thought a junco, but   that doesn't seem right.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens