[NatureNS] Fw: Black-backed Woodpecker, Gray Jays and Fox Sparrows

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:50:40 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_SXIbvD9Zz32s+cL1SnuU0w)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:50 PM
Subject: Black-backed Woodpecker, Gray Jays and Fox Sparrows

I enjoyed a two hour hike on the Wetland's Trail, Mount Uniacke Museum Park, this morning in glorious early morning sunshine and calm air.  The logs were silvered and the packed leaf fall slick so I had to trek carefully.  The creek was running high so waterproof footwear was essential out here, not rubber boots, but good leather winter hiking boots with lots of freeboard. The woods, as expected, were quiet but I did manage one Black-backed Woodpecker between the lakes and eight Gray Jays.  The distant calling of a Red-breasted Nuthatch was reassuring.

At home in Portuguese Cove two Fox Sparrows linger.  They are running late now but they have over-wintered successfully at our place in the past.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_SXIbvD9Zz32s+cL1SnuU0w)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18975">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:ns-rba@yahoogroups.com">ns-rba@yahoogroups.com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:50 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Black-backed Woodpecker, Gray Jays and Fox
Sparrows</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I enjoyed a two hour hike on the Wetland's Trail,
Mount Uniacke Museum Park, this morning in glorious early morning sunshine and
calm air.&nbsp; The logs were silvered and the packed leaf fall slick so I had
to trek carefully.&nbsp; The creek was running high so waterproof footwear was
essential out here, not rubber boots, but good leather winter hiking boots with
lots of freeboard. The woods, as expected, were quiet but I did manage one
<STRONG>Black-backed Woodpecker</STRONG> between the lakes and eight
<STRONG>Gray Jays</STRONG>.&nbsp; The distant calling of a <STRONG>Red-breasted
Nuthatch</STRONG> was reassuring.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At home in Portuguese Cove two <STRONG>Fox
Sparrows</STRONG> linger.&nbsp; They are&nbsp;running late now but they have
over-wintered successfully at our place in the past.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_SXIbvD9Zz32s+cL1SnuU0w)--