[NatureNS] Re: Sandhill Crane hunt

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:51:53 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e65b535ac50d5f04980369a1

Hi,

What I say here does not mean I am personally in favour of hunting Sandhill
Cranes (or anything else for that matter), but there is another point of
view. This was eloquently expressed by an excellent and well-known birder in
a Podcast that can be downloaded from Itunes - This Birding Life/ Bird
Watchers Digest, Episode 19, Love and Death among the Cranes. What she says
is basically that there is a large and healthy population of Sandhill Cranes
in N.America, some people just like to hunt for recreation or for food, they
apparently taste good, and as long as legalities and bag limits are
observed, then the hunting lobby will be OK with that. She goes on to also
make the point that habitat conservation in N.America, which we birders and
naturalists benefit hugely from, is largely funded by the hunting community,
through the sale of Duck Stamps etc. and the activities of groups like Ducks
Unlimited. Birders and naturalists shouldn't complain about legitimate
hunting until they put their money where their mouth is.

 It does seem to me that Sandhill cranes are a great example of a bird/
animal that we humans like to look at and listen to, have a nice family
life, have aesthetic value to us, are a symbol of the wilderness etc., and
as such, have much in common with Harp seals - so we in Atlantic Canada
should be a bit careful about who or how we criticize!

Personally I would love to see all hunting done as I do it - with a camera
and telephoto lens instead of a rifle. It demands the same skill set, has
the same sense of enjoyment and accomplishment, and the trophies are easier
to share.

Happy Holidays,

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

[...]

s of groups like Ducks Unlimited. Birders and naturalists shouldn&#39;t com=
plain about legitimate hunting until they put their money where their mouth=
 is.</div>

example of a bird/ animal that we humans like to look at and listen to, hav=
e a nice family life, have aesthetic value to us, are a symbol of the wilde=
rness etc., and as such, have much in common with Harp seals - so we in Atl=
antic Canada should be a bit careful about who or how we criticize!</div>

 it - with a camera and telephoto lens instead of a rifle. It demands the s=
ame skill set, has the same sense of enjoyment and accomplishment, and the =
trophies are easier to share.</div>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
At 11:18 PM 20/12/2010, you wrote:<br>
matter what is said. If you are the sort to send emails about this thing,
not sure they will care what we think in Canada but I can&#39;t keep quiet =
on
Under the circumstances regarding what is permitted in Canada, I doubt
very much KY will attend to any objections from north of the
border.=A0=A0 For example, here is a quick summary of the facts
regarding the Sandhill Crane hunting season in Saskatchewan:<br><br>
Sandhill Cranes - Open to All Hunters (resident and
non-resident)<br><br>
Sandhill Crane bag limit: 5 daily, Possession: 15<br><br>
Sandhill Crane Season: Sept. 1 - Dec. 16<br><br>