[NatureNS] Coastal Owl and Falcon Migration Route off Maine Coast

From: Lance Laviolette <corvuscorax@sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 21:11:06 -0500

Hi Patricia,

>What would a similar study on our coastal islands find?  Bon Portage, the
Tuskets, Brier ...

Owl banding has a long history on Bon Portage stretching back to the early
1970's. At that time it was indeed noted that a large migration of  owls
took place along the Atlantic coast. I recall in some years that the banding
operation might catch 50+ Northern Saw-whet Owls in a weekend as well as a
good number of  Long-eared Owls. It should be kept in mind that these totals
were obtained without using a number of methods that are now standard at all
owl banding sites. I would guess that had the efforts on BP used these
methods as well, the totals would have been double what they were. I'm sure
that any effort on similar offshore islands in SW Nova would be successful.
On the other side of the province, there has not been, as of yet, any
indication that Northern  Saw-whet Owls migrate along Nova Scotia's Fundy
Coast. Over the next few years there is a possibility that that will be
verified more carefully.
Happy Holidays,
Lance
Lance Laviolette