[NatureNS] Update On Baltimore Orioles In Dartmouth

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:21:57 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001485f77552f6d6c5049890a454

Great Job Gayle, Suzann knows how to keep orioles alive :)

Helene

--
Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre

--001485f77552f6d6c5049890a454

, Gayle MacLean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess2003@yahoo.=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><table cellspacing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" =
e are 2 Orioles now that are coming here to=A0my feeders. I had not been ha=
ving much luck with the oriole enclosure received from Suzann Myers. The pl=
atform I was using was just too close to the ground and was of great intere=
st to some of the cats living around here so I removed it.=A0I am making th=
e suet suggested by Suzann but the marauding Starlings just completely bull=
ied any and every other bird away and in one day, they are devouring every =
single=A0homemade suet cake, scarfing down almost all the grape jelly &amp;=
 eating all the grapes. Was having abit more success getting the mealworms =
to the Orioles as they are early risers and stick around a little longer in=
 the later afternoons 4:30 - 4:45pm time frame. However one is a little pig=
 and drives the other oriole away every time.</div>

 the ground on an old sawhorse table that was=A0halfway hidden in a corner =
of my basement. I put a bowl of grapes with the=A0ends removed, so if the s=
kin froze, at least they might be able to get the moisture, a bowl of melte=
d suet mixed with grape jelly and a warm water filled Tupperware dish, doub=
le topped=A0with 30=A0mealworms.</div>

n peace, &amp; didn&#39;t fight too much &amp; were able to get in and out =
without much difficulty,=A0and Suzann&#39;s right, the bloody Starlings can=
not get in!</div>

ouses on the other side of the street.</div>
 rock wall.</div>
53</div>
ref=3D"http://www.cwrc.net/images/2011_calendar/CWRC_2011_Calendar_lo_for_w=
eb.pdf" target=3D"_blank">http://www.cwrc.net/images/2011_calendar/CWRC_201=