[NatureNS] red winged blackbird/Baltimore Oriole Update

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:39:56 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001636499a4bf3ed710499104cf8

Hi Gayle, I know you have been talking to Susann about your caging and I
know hers excludes starlings so she might be able to help you with design of
yours. Unfortunately now that the starlings know what's available there,
they will keep coming back so your only real option is exclusion offerings.
Also, unfortunately the competition between the orioles will likely continue
with scarce resources. If the one oriole gets weak enough that you can catch
it, I'd be happy to take it..I have overwintered orioles here before.

Helene

--
Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre

--001636499a4bf3ed710499104cf8

Hi Gayle, I know you have been talking to Susann about your caging and I kn=
ow hers excludes starlings so she might be able to help you with design of =
yours. Unfortunately now that the starlings know what&#39;s available there=
, they will keep coming back so your only real option is exclusion offering=
s. Also, unfortunately the competition between the orioles will likely cont=
inue with scarce resources. If the one oriole gets weak enough that you can=
 catch it, I&#39;d be happy to take it..I have overwintered orioles here be=
fore.<div>
 at 8:45 PM, Gayle MacLean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess=
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;=
padding-left:1ex;">
gn=3D"top" style=3D"font:inherit"><div>Sorry, you weren&#39;t able to photo=
graph the RW Blackbird</div>
t did see 1 =A0Eurasian Wigeon.</div>
e doing=A0reasonably alright,=A0here at my backyard feeders.</div>
nd whenever possible, blocks=A0the other=A0from entering the enclosure (whe=
re I present the mealworms)=A0at all.=A0Am now offering 2 mealworm trays tw=
ice a day when possible (the J.O.B. does get in the way, however, no matter=
 how early in the day), one in the enclosure &amp; one in the open on a lar=
ge rock nearby, but competed for, &amp; usually,=A0won over,=A0by the Starl=
ings that eat absolutely, EVERYTHING! I do think one may be starving (despi=
te the concord grape &amp;=A0homemade suet, I&#39;ve been offering)=A0as I =
did see bright green=A0(almost luminescent) feces inside the enclosure, thi=
s afternoon.=A0</div>

iv>
ref=3D"http://www.cwrc.net/images/2011_calendar/CWRC_2011_Calendar_lo_for_w=
eb.pdf" target=3D"_blank">http://www.cwrc.net/images/2011_calendar/CWRC_201=