[NatureNS] red winged blackbird/Baltimore Oriole Update

Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 23:09:09 -0400
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_xBHDuKMwlpcuNnqPSFo3Lg)

You might try some natural peanut butter, Gayle.  Inside your feeding
cage.  I know what you mean about those Starlings, and there seem to be
a lot more hanging around later than usual this year.  That's what makes
a feeding cage such a great idea.  If you get a chance, go and see
Suzann's - it's great!

Lois Codling

On 04/01/2011 8:45 PM, Gayle MacLean wrote:
> Sorry, you weren't able to photograph the RW Blackbird
> Was at Sullivan's Pond today, did not see the American Coots, but did
> see 1  Eurasian Wigeon.
> The 2 Baltimore Orioles that have been visiting my feeders seem to be
> doing reasonably alright, here at my backyard feeders.
> I am a little concerned about one though. One is very aggressive-- and
> whenever possible, blocks the other from entering the enclosure (where
> I present the mealworms) at all. Am now offering 2 mealworm trays
> twice a day when possible (the J.O.B. does get in the way, however, no
> matter how early in the day), one in the enclosure & one in the open
> on a large rock nearby, but competed for, & usually, won over, by the
> Starlings that eat absolutely, EVERYTHING! I do think one may be
> starving (despite the concord grape & homemade suet, I've been
> offering) as I did see bright green (almost luminescent) feces inside
> the enclosure, this afternoon.
> Any advice greatly appreciated
> Gayle MacLean
> Dartmouth

--Boundary_(ID_xBHDuKMwlpcuNnqPSFo3Lg)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    You might try some natural peanut butter, Gayle.&nbsp; Inside your
    feeding cage.&nbsp; I know what you mean about those Starlings, and there
    seem to be a lot more hanging around later than usual this year.&nbsp;
    That's what makes a feeding cage such a great idea.&nbsp; If you get a
    chance, go and see Suzann's - it's great!<br>
    Lois Codling<br>