[NatureNS] Re: Baltimore Oriole Update

From: "Tom & Terri" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:30:22 -0400

round in shape, it only takes a fe
Hi Gayle

With a few hundred starlings here daily I also can sympathize. I only have
one (f) Balt. oriole that I'm trying to get through the winter this year.
The other 7-8 decided to move on before the weather set in in late Nov. When
my flock is large I feed in multiple locations spread apart enough to reduce
pressure (but it will never eliminate it). I've had one indivual bird able
keep 5 other orioles and about 40 starlings from feeding at 4 locations that
were wide spread (40' from closest and furthest) for a few days. You haven't
seen a scrappy defender of your Oriole food until you've had a A. Robin lay
claim to the food source.

The first solution that works for me has more to do with location of the
food. I've found that Rare ("sensitive") birds that try to over winter will
become greater risk takers. This works great in my/our favour. I feed my
Orioles on my window ledge feeder witch just happens to be to close for
comfort for the starlings. From time to time I have to discourage a couple
of brave ones but rarely. My window feeder is about 3' long and I've placed
3 pins (nails, wire coat hangers) along its outside edge. This can be a very
completive area for food but has allowed for a more important finding for
survival of the weaker birds. I have limited food supplies available to me
to offer these birds so the best hands down for me has been Globe Grapes.
Kept in the freezer until needed for the feeders. Not only does this make it
easier to keep the pricey food on hand (I just finished off the last of my
10 month old stock), it eliminates waste and most importantly the birds
prefer the sweeter (pre frozen and thawed in some warm water) grapes. After
a couple of days of feeding the skins of the grapes gather at the base of
the nails and I use to clean these off to make room for more grapes. I've
been able to study the interaction of the birds feeding on my feeders for
quite some time now and find that if you allow the grape skins to build up
it reduces the food protection and aggression towards each other. Notice I
said reduce! Now allowing the skins build up has a couple of benefits. It
ensures that there's always a food source for all the birds. While the
grapes are fresh there tends to be some competition but as the fruit are
reduced skins the aggressive birds tend to allow the submissive birds to
feed on the leftovers, witch are as nutritious. Because the skins are always
available there's always a food source this lessens the need/desire to
protect it. This works out great If the birds arrive early or you're late
getting the food out. The window feeder works well for us also because it
allows access to feed in any and all weather. We also have an Oriole nectar
feeder hung outside the window that I put in a (tepid) grape juice and sugar
mix (starlings don't bother this).

Another benefit of the up close feeding is that you can really study each
bird to see how it's doing with all the stress' our cold winter present.

Sorry for the long response
Hope some of this info is helpful.

All the Best
Tom K