[NatureNS] Re: Baltimore Oriole Update

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 00:49:53 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_jkTZUCFBBGxMoAGubl2g7g)

Hi, Gayle.

These problems sound so familiar to me, I do sympathize.  It looked from the photos you posted the other day as if the brighter oriole is a first-winter male and the other is a first-winter female, and the male appeared to be driving the female away.  I have also found in my yard that the males are more aggressive about the food, and the females have a lower winter survival rate.  It is likely the pressure from the starlings that is making the oriole so aggressive.

I solved this problem by presenting the mealworms in enough locations at the same time (inside cages) that the orioles all got an opportunity to have their share.  I also put the mealworms out at the same time each day, at first light, so all the orioles were there waiting for them at once.  It took some juggling, and I had to make adjustments occasionally to keep things balanced, but it did work.  The females tended to all use certain feeding cages, and the males the others (the preferred locations, closest to shrubbery).  A friend told me one day, when I complained about the latest adjustment, that I couldn't micromanage them, but in fact that was just what it took - watching each day to see which orioles showed up, how many went to each cage etc., and making adjustments accordingly in the number of feeding locations, the number of mealworms in each one, and so on.

I have lots of the wire netting if you want to pick some up and make a second enclosure (I have loaned out the second cage like yours, for the present).  If you make it round in shape, it only takes a few minutes and a few twist ties to turn the wiring into a cage - I'd be glad to help.

I also found that the orioles showed up just a few minutes earlier than the starlings in the morning, so at dawn I could put one dish of mealworms on top of each cage, and one inside, and the orioles got them all.  but my ratio of orioles to starlings was higher, the orioles formed a gang of their own, so that might not work for you.

Have you tried a 50/50 mixture of grape jelly and melted soft suet (my recipe)?  It is very appealing to the orioles - smells like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when it's still warm, and covers all the major food groups!  If you put some in each of 2 feeding cages, and the cages were far enough apart, both orioles should get some.

I'll be home on the week-end, but if you want to come before that and take some netting, just help yourself.  If you let me know you were coming, I could leave out the wire cutters.

Hope this helps,
Susann