[NatureNS] Re:CSI IBA long note (late)

Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:06:28 -0400
From: <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Greetings, all!
I have visited South Side beach many many times since 1970, so read with interest about the changes to the beach and increased access. I am not certain, but tend to believe that these improvements will help, even though my long term expectations for PIPL survival there are not optimistic. We must do the best we can while we can.

Last summer Aileen Smith and I found a Piping Plover scrape on the beach right in front of one of the access paths through the dunes.  I think the nest was successful (at least initially), but will wait to hear what Sue Abbott thinks about this. We did find people stayed near the water, and dogs were on leashes that day.

I have seen a great improvement in people's attitudes towards birds. A lot of credit to our SW Birders like Johnny and Sandra, Murray, Clyde, Terry and others who walk the beaches and talk to people about them. People also notice that birding has brought a lot of extra income to the area. When we buy gas or go into a shop, let's make a point to wear our binoculars and let local citizens know why we are there.

In 1972 our family found a couple shooting Common and Arctic Terns on a beach at  the Ponds (in Villagedale). We picked up an Arctic Tern and took it to the RCMP and pressed charges. The shooters lost their guns and their truck was impounded and they were fined. Birds are not much used for target practice anymore, but more reporting and enforcement is needed in regards to illegal activity (such as the use of ATVs) on the beaches everywhere in Nova Scotia.

The parking lot will make the road safer there at the corner. The interpretive signs are educational, and a board walk (properly done and removable in winter) will protect the Dunes. Tourists are generally appreciative of environmental initiatives to protect species and habitat.

 Best wishes, Joan