[NatureNS] Field sparrow, Eastern Towhee

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 15:37:47 -0400

Saturday, January 15, 2011

I visited the Burbidges' feeders in Canard.  Staked out, not moving an inch
and moving
my bino very slowly not to spook sparrows or mourning doves.  I was on the
little snow path on the left.  It was snowing!

The female Eastern Towhee came out very briefly each time, ten seconds or
so.  Saw it at least five times between 10-12:30.  It stopped coming out at
noon.

I was watching the sparrows by the spool feeder through my binos.   An
oversized junco appeared in my viewfinder.  Thought what the heck it was!!??
It dawned upon me that it was a young? N. Shrike!  It moved on shortly and
never came back.   The towhee still came out and then no more afterwards.

Had 15 species: tree, house, white throated, savannah, and song sparrows;
mourning doves; blue jays; juncos, black capped chickadee, N. shrike, and of
course towhee plus raven, crow, GBB gull, and Herring gulls either flying by
or at a distance.   No woodpeckers, nuthatches, pigeons, and hawks.

Left the property and drove around.  Came across lots of sparrows (tree,
savannah, song, white throated) on shoulders everywhere in Canard and
Canning.  Found a field sparrow among the sparrows.

Quite a lot  of horned larks and a few snow buntings on roads and fields.
No lapland longspurs.  Too many cars so they moved further back.  Oddly
enough, I could not find a single horned lark last year!

liz