[NatureNS] Eastern Cougar

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 11:30:15 -0400

I remember taking a long, careful look at a cougar in Shubenackadie a few
years ago - did anyone ever see a house cat as large as a cougar?
I don't think I have ever seen any other animal that looks like a cougar, or
that sounds like one when they howl at night.
It is interesting to see people able to pick out the tiny differences of
birds and  yet have trouble identifying a cougar when they see one.
I am also amused that a government agency is so certain we do not have
cougars in Nova Scotia  that they  have a law that says it is illegal to
shoot one.
Did anyone read the article in the Sunday edition of the Chronicle Herald a
few months ago about the number of cougars that had been reported in Nova
Scotia?   My guess is that there have been as many more that were seen and
never reported.

Roland.