[NatureNS] Eastern Cougar

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 07:47:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-1977442013-1297266426=:57240

Angela, regarding your question if anyone else in their neighbourhood has s=
een these cats, the answer I got this morning from my daughter-in-law is no=
. In fact nobody has reported any missing or injured animals. And nobody se=
ems the least bit concerned (maybe that's a good thing too) Who needs a sit=
uation of hysteria or calling the newspapers, etc. We know their criteria f=
or reporting; "If it bleeds, it reads".
Now both my grandchildren said they saw one of them last night when their o=
wn cat was outside. What brought it to their attention was their cat was ha=
nging on frantically to their outside screen door and, in fact, the cat had=
 'evacuated its bowels'. The long dark cat with a thick long tail (their de=
scription) went around back of their van & disappeared.=20
As for checking scat, I doubt very much if they would really know what it m=
ight look like & with the drifting snow & all. But I'll just mention to the=
m to keep an eye out.
My daughter-in-law did inform DNR this morning anyway of this latest sighti=
ng. They said they would leave the message for the official who had gone ou=
t on Monday.
=A0
Sincerely,
=A0