[NatureNS] Eastern Cougar

From: Ann Morrison <jastatu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:16:55 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-14--1003244253

I've heard reports of Cougars in NS for decades including a sighting in Cape=
 Breton by my parents in the late '70's (Dad worked for the Dpt of Lands & Fo=
rests at the time). Also, I've had the privilege of fly fishing across from a=
 Bobcat on the St. Marys River for about 30 minutes. But what stands out for=
 me the most was a Bobcat sighting on the rail trail behind Rainbow Haven Be=
ach that leads to the marsh... Forget it's name. We were walking our dogs al=
ong the wooded path when a Bobcat came out of the woods and onto the path ab=
out 50 yds ahead. The neat thing was that it was looking down the path away f=
rom us and didn't see us. So it was standing upright and didn't crouch until=
 it turned and saw us... Then scooted (Bobcat term!?) off the path. What ama=
zed me was the size of this Bobcat. It was at least as tall or taller than m=
y large Australian Shepherd which could put it close to 20 inches at the sho=
ulder. My Aussie weighed in at 55 to 60 lbs. Bobcats are big... And they do h=
ave a tail... Though nowhere near as long as a Cougars. Cougars are huge, tr=
uly huge compared to this. Just take a moment and Google both... If you see t=
he cougars that have been killed and are next to humans it gives you a good i=
dea of just how huge they can be. And they don't seem to ever have spots, th=
ough I could be wrong.=20
I'm not saying Cougars aren't in NS, I am just saying our Bobcats are bigger=
 than most people might think. Hope this helps... It is all so fascinating.
Ann M
Halifax

Sent from my iPhone

On 2011-02-09, at 2:30 PM, Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Thank you. Just might do that. Had no idea such a camera is available. Tha=
nks for sharing the information.
>=20
re (or elsewhere), $150-ish, it would make a good birthday (Valentine's) pre=
sent...
> Just be sure to hide it well from view. My current score is -1.=20
>=20
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca> wrot=
e:
> What the official told my daughter-in-law today regarding the print examin=
ed on Monday was that it was a dog's print, even though he thought it was so=
me kind of cat's print while he was there. My grandson was really quite upse=
t, saying that he knows what he saw & it was not a dog! Anyway they said the=
y need a picture. And truly, understandably so. And perhaps they'll get one.=
 Here's hoping, anyway!
 attempt from "ca.mc379.mail.yahoo.com" claiming to be randy.lauff@gmail.com=
> wrote:
>=20
> From: Randy Lauff <MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "=
ca.mc379.mail.yahoo.com" claiming to be randy.lauff@gmail.com>
>=20
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Eastern Cougar
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>=20
>=20
> I am thinking that "proof", not just "evidence" is needed for DNR to state=
, "We have cougars in NS." They clearly cannot say "We don't have cougars in=
 NS", so them not making a commitment is perfectly understandable. I think I=
 remember one statement something along the lines of, 'We accept that there m=
ay be cougars in NS.' What else do we expect them to say, given lack of proo=
f?=20
>=20
> Randy
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.
>=20
>=20
> On 9 February 2011 13:15, Nancy Roberts <nancy.roberts@ns.sympatico.ca> wr=
ote:
> I can accept that there have been genuine cougar sightings. Surely some DN=
R people have had sightings, too, since random people do.
>=20
> Why do you-all think DNR would be so reluctant to espouse the idea of coug=
ars in NS? Is their reluctance a good thing, since we don't want the kind of=
 hysteria that is surrounding coyotes?
o.com" claiming to be jameslchurchill@gmail.com
> mobile: (902) 692-8128
> home: (902) 681-2374
>=20

--Apple-Mail-14--1003244253

 decades including a sighting in Cape Breton by my parents in the late '70's=
 (Dad worked for the Dpt of Lands &amp; Forests at the time). Also, I've had=
[...]
e. And they don't seem to ever have spots, though I could be wrong.&nbsp;</d=
iv><div>I'm not saying Cougars aren't in NS, I am just saying our Bobcats ar=
e bigger than most people might think. Hope this helps... It is all so fasci=
t;