[NatureNS] Eastern Cougar

From: Dorothy Cameron <dorth@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:17:46 -0400

t;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess2003@yahoo
Good Day All:
The last time the cougar thread was on NatureNS, I was almost tempted to
write about my experience, but remained silent. This time I will.  My
sighting was at least six or more years ago, and at that time I didn't
realize that cougars could be black in colour, but now know they can.

My sister-in-law and I were on our way home from Yarmouth on the new highway
(103). Just as we were getting near to the last corner before the long
strait stretch leading to the Pubnico exit, we saw a huge black cat like
animal run across the road not far in front of us.  We were both dumbfounded
as you could imagine. We thought that It must have been a panther, as it was
black, perhaps having escaped from a zoo or circus.  It had a long body and
had a very long thick round tail.  It ran into the ditch and disappeared .
We couldn't think where a captive cat could have come from, and considered
reporting  it, fearing that it may end up hurting someone.  In the end we
didn't have the courage to tell what we saw, except to our husbands, fearing
ridicule.
  It was during the afternoon with very good visibility.  I have seen
cougars up close, as an acquaintance of mine used to own one ( many years
ago) and I had seen panthers in zoos.  There is absolutely no doubt in our
minds that we saw a big cat, and it sure wasn't any pussy cat either!!  I
can still picture it bounding across the road, and every time I pass that
spot I think of it, that's how much of an impression it left on me.

Dorothy Cameron
Woods harbour